Help! Got into my 74 B210, backed out of driveway, put it in 1st gear

and while driving it forward (in !st gear) the car slowed down and stalled. The parking brake was released, but I can't go forward.

No noises from transmission (4 speed). I tried reverse and it works OK. Drove backwards back into my driveway.

Tried checking transmission with the engine running in each gear all forward gears engage and try to move car forward, but it will not move forward.

Clutch is ok, feels normal, transmission detents also feel ok, not sloppy. Car has no history of doing this before. WTF!

My 720 is on blocks in the middle of a brake job, the parts are in town waiting to be picked up but I got no ride,

Ideas gentlemen?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a brake shoe come loose and wedge itself between the other and car would "kinda" go backwards ,, but it would drag that tire going forward .   It was front wheel drive car so wheel wasn't "powered" so it was easy to see.... There is other things that could cause it but just,,  lift up each wheel and spin it..  You will find problem pretty fast i bet

• Like 2

Pull the hand brake on. Is there normal resistance as it ratchets up??? Parking brake is probably working.

If slightly easier to pull, one side may be frozen. Most likely at the drum on one side.

Have someone pull the hand brake on and off several times while you watch from the rear bumper. BOTH sides have to move at the drum.

If very loose and needs no effort the cable is frozen or rusted between the hand lever and the differential.

From years of experience.... ALWAYS use your parking brake. Get in the habit. A well used hand or foot operated emergency brake will keep the cables shiny and rust free. It's there for an emergency back-up should you have a hydraulic system failure. Makes sense to have in in good working shape.

Yep, been there.

Rainy weather, drove the car, water got in the emergency cable (bad boot), came home, pulled up the emergency brake, overnight the weather turned cold and fell way below freezing.  Next morning, go out cranked the car and it would not move forward but would back up barely.  

Could that be your problem?

He lives in Yosemite, it's been damp, wet and frozen up there, so as nanners suggested and before you take anything apart when you find the colporate, take a small torch and heat up the the brake padsbthat are stuck, if that doesn't release it then ya take it apart.

Personally, I don't use the e-brake at all unless it's absolutely necessary.  And leaving the ebrake on in wet frozen environments can result in ice attaching to the cable and jamming it on.  That's not fun.

And there's no e-brake in ugly Betty.  ;)

• Like 2