Engine upgrade for 84 nissan maxima

black_bomb510

I'm trying to upgrade the 2.4 liter 6 cylinder in my Nissan maxima.  Found a 2.8 from a 1978.  noticed after purchase of motor that the oil sumps are in different locations.  Anyone know what year Datsun started producing a 280zx with a front oil sump instead of the rear sump like the 1978 model.  Also if I happen to strike out and re-use the 2.4 anyone know a head that would increase my compression since the 2.4 is dished piston engine. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the maxima 2.4 has a front mounted oil pickup which is 4 to 6 inches forward from the typical 2.8 liter 280z.  The 2.8 liter from a 280z has the front pickup casted in the block but is not tapped or drilled.  yes I could have a machine shop tap and drill the casting but with labor prices it's almost cheaper to throw some flat top pistons into that 2.4 and keep it semi-original.  I assume it's because the maxima uses a rack and pinion steering and the 280 needs that space for the steering links and steering box.  anyone know when the z cars had rack and pinion steering?

You have to extend the pickup  using pieces of both  so it goes to the right spot...  Send a PM to member Qtip as i can't find pumpkin210s maxima engine transplant thread in any of his content..  OR send PM to moderator Datzenmike or Redeye ,, or even Skib to help find it.. There is pictures of the welded pickup in that thread.

Qtip

http://community.ratsun.net/user/2181-q-tip/

He might remember the thread title. And he was there when it happened

I would say contact Dave but he is mostly only ever on facebook ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mostly

I'm trying to upgrade the 2.4 liter 6 cylinder in my Nissan maxima.  Found a 2.8 from a 1978.  noticed after purchase of motor that the oil sumps are in different locations.  Anyone know what year Datsun started producing a 280zx with a front oil sump instead of the rear sump like the 1978 model.  Also if I happen to strike out and re-use the 2.4 anyone know a head that would increase my compression since the 2.4 is dished piston engine. 

The compression is probably already around 8.5. Why would you want more?

the maxima 2.4 has a front mounted oil pickup which is 4 to 6 inches forward from the typical 2.8 liter 280z.  The 2.8 liter from a 280z has the front pickup casted in the block but is not tapped or drilled.  yes I could have a machine shop tap and drill the casting but with labor prices it's almost cheaper to throw some flat top pistons into that 2.4 and keep it semi-original.  I assume it's because the maxima uses a rack and pinion steering and the 280 needs that space for the steering links and steering box.  anyone know when the z cars had rack and pinion steering?

You're never going to " throw some flat top pistons into that 2.4" cheaper than drilling and taping two holes.

They all had R&P even the zx. The '78 and up zx also had R&P and non R&P power steering boxes.