New to the Forum

510s can be daily driven.did it for 25 years,only stopped as they are harder than heck to find up here now,and getting a bit pricey

You will need a spare parts inventory(used and new)as most parts are not over the shelf anymore.

Also will need a mechanical aptitude or at least the willingness to do/learn.

If you are going to pay shop rates for a daily 510,dont waste your money.

They are simple(as simple as it gets) to work on. as most Datsuns are

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rksumida83, you got everything you asked for. DatsunMike, Q-tip, Bananahamock, Skib, Banzai510; these are some of the heaviest hitters in the Ratsun/Datsun/510 community. You won't get better, or more knowledgeable advice. Let me ad something, show respect here, and don't let this go to waist.

Did you just call Naner fat?

• Like 2

The Freak is just pissed off I left him off the list.

Could it be this guy is yet another one post wander? It would be a shame if all this great advice just evaporated into the internet ether though, and that got me thinking. I’ve participated in a few of these go nowhere threads, and I know you guys have seen more  than your share.

What do you think about starting a thread where members could post their advice about approaching engine swaps all in one place? Dropping a link to a thread like that could be a very easy, efficient, and yet effective way to respond to the many unknowingly ignorant requests for “advice”. Clearly most of these POS pointless threads are nothing more than someone’s passing curiosity. IMO, these are sub-newbs, and although there is a ton of searchable information on ratsun, there is no way sub-newbs are going to access it for themselves. On the same note, it would be a shame if someone who might actually benefit and use our advice, didn’t get it, or was chased off by a grumpy member who didn’t get enough coffee that day.

Title might be, Swap Advice For Datto Newbs.

To the Newb:

So you’re curious about what engine you should put in your Datsun? This question has been answered many times over, and to be honest, it gets old answering it again and again. This thread is filled with the best advice from some of the most knowledgeable people in the Datsun community. Bla bla bla

To the members:

This could be the last time you have to answer this. some guidelines, Bla bla bla.

What do you think?

• Like 2

The Freak is just pissed off I left him off the list.

Could it be this guy is yet another one post wander? It would be a shame if all this great advice just evaporated into the internet ether though, and that got me thinking. I’ve participated in a few of these go nowhere threads, and I know you guys have seen more  than your share.

What do you think about starting a thread where members could post their advice about approaching engine swaps? Dropping a link to a thread like that could be a very easy, efficient, and yet effective way to respond to the many unknowingly ignorant requests for “advice”. Clearly most of these POS pointless threads are nothing more than someone’s passing curiosity. IMO, these are sub-newbs, and although there is a ton of searchable information on ratsun, there is no way sub-newbs are going to access it for themselves. On the same note, it would be a shame if someone who might actually benefit and use our advice, didn’t get it, or was chased off by a grumpy member who didn’t get enough coffee that day.

Title might be, Swap Advice For Datto Newbs.

To the Newb:

So you’re curious about what engine you should put in your Datsun? This question has been answered many times over, and to be honest, it gets old answering it again and again. This thread is filled with the best advice from some of the most knowledgeable people in the Datsun community. Bla bla bla

To the members:

This could be the last time you have to answer this. some guidelines, Bla bla bla.

What do you think?

nah no need to be pissed off, just funin yah

• Like 1

Weird i would even be included in that list to be honest...  I don't know shit compared to those assholes

I had to learn Lmotors before the internets, so i got that old school shit down..  

But the best thing i do is surround myself with THE MOST eccentric Datsun freaks of all fucking time ,, Bill (guy knows everything about everything Datsun) ,,,, Von aka JJ  who once owned EVERY year and style 521 AT THE SAME TIME,,,,  and a dude named George that i'm not completely certain knows we aren't still in the Vietnam ..  THAT is what you will need to do.   Also find out where the nearest bunch of Datsun weirdos hangs out close to you and ,, go to them and ask-ask-ask and ask some more.............. And listen

I did daily a 83 ZX for about 2 years ,,  getting 2 older sons to football and track practice ,,, with 2 more sons and a German Shepherd also in car.. So it can be done .. 

• Like 1

How old is your Civic?  Is it fuel injected?  Are you ready to deal with the "personality" that comes with a carburetted car?

I love that comment, so true and if you run side drafts carbs it's even more fun, I've got 4 sets of high and 2 sets of low jets that I carry in my parts bag, depending on atmospheric pressures and altitudes where you are going to be having fun, the jet settings will have you doing swaps, the last thing you want is to drill a hole on top of a piston because it's running too lean....but.....it's hella fun :thumbup:

• Like 1

New kids will always come asking the same shit.

Always have, always will.

Totally agree,

As I said: "IMO, these are sub-newbs, and although there is a ton of searchable information on ratsun, there is no way sub-newbs are going to access it for themselves".

So why not give them a link to this advice instead of filling up two pages of best intentions every time some sub-newb asks?

Here's what you should do. Fuck the 510, go get yourself a 1985 Chevrolet van. They're badass. That'll be $10 please. Send it to my gofundme account.

Do not take advice from this "man" he sold his 510 to build an autocross car.....out of a pick up....then a maxima....and finally a zx...

• Like 3

No no, a Z.  The ZX is just for parts. ;)  Although, my neighbor did suggest putting the turbo ZX motor in the wagon, and I must say it was certainly tempting.  But she's just so perfectly fine the way she is.  I'll probably leave her alone.  Maybe a teensie weensie cam.

• Like 1