• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, For anyone interested, I took a chance and purchased the Dorman 576-808 Gas Tank, aka Spectre NS4 (listed for a 83-86 720) and it did fit in a 1979 Datsun 620 Regular Cab Longbed without modification.

Bolted right in. But in the process of renewing all of the 1/4" fuel lines, Note: 2 of the original lines were just a little short because the outlet came out of the tank straight instead of at a 90, but planned to replace those lines anyway, a minor inconvenience. This new tank ended up about the same cost as a POR 15 kit, plus another can needed to seal one of these roughly,17 us gallon tanks...

• Like 3

Hello, For anyone interested, I took a chance and purchased the Dorman 576-808 Gas Tank, aka Spectre NS4 (listed for a 83-86 720) and it did fit in a 1979 Datsun 620 Regular Cab Longbed without modification.

Bolted right in. But in the process of renewing all of the 1/4" fuel lines, Note: 2 of the original lines were just a little short because the outlet came out of the tank straight instead of at a 90, but planned to replace those lines anyway, a minor inconvenience. This new tank ended up about the same cost as a POR 15 kit, plus another can needed to seal one of these roughly,17 us gallon tanks...

Wow.. thanks for that update!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Is there anything new regarding solutions for the early 620 tanks?  Claims of a repo out there stated in other threads - perhaps for the later frame mount style?

I'm looking at welding mine.  The right side mounting bracket has a flange which bolts to the flange on the tank.  Water wicks into these flanges and rots out the tank flange.

I'll remove the bad tank flange entirely, weld as required, and then weld a flange piece where missing.

The Dorman tank is about $200 so even for that money, I'd still weld.  $100 and I'd buy one.  $150 - hard to say...

Even if I found a used one for $50, the shipping would put it way over $l00 from West Coast to Pennsylvania.

car-part.com has one listed that is in poor shape for $33.

• Like 1

I will do solder if I can, however where it rotted out is the flange where the mounting bolts are.  So I need the repaired flange to be strong enough.

EDIT: 

was just thinking:  if I can solder it up, I could solder an "angle iron" piece to reinforce/replace the rusted out flange. 

NEEDLE DESCALER:  will use to break up rust

SANDBLAST:  will use to get down to bare metal but seem to recall this contaminates metal for....  (don't remember) - can use cartridge rolls too

BRAZE:  I don't think I'd do this since it really is a mess if any subsequent welding required.

Might weld and then seal pinholes with solder (!)

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1