White smoke coming from tailpipe

jboulukos

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, called alignment dowels.

Looks like previous owners have not been using antifreeze/coolant. The block is rusty inside. Anti freeze protects the water pump and the rad and reduces rust build up. Mix with distilled water.

Yes, called alignment dowels.

Looks like previous owners have not been using antifreeze/coolant. The block is rusty inside. Anti freeze protects the water pump and the rad and reduces rust build up. Mix with distilled water.

Is this the same as pre-diluted/  50/50 coolant?

Probably just ordinary tap water. The problem with tap water is it has dissolved minerals and these will concentrate and collect as scale inside your rad. It's the same scale you find inside your kettle. Always add distilled water to top up your rad.

• Like 1

Probably just ordinary tap water. The problem with tap water is it has dissolved minerals and these will concentrate and collect as scale inside your rad. It's the same scale you find inside your kettle. Always add distilled water to top up your rad.

Thanks for this advice! I'll do that!!!

Also, where are the 'heat riser manifolds?' I have the gaskets for them.

Depends on the year. That gasket set is designed to cover all years and you may not need them.

Simple enough... are your intake and exhaust manifolds bolter together? Probably not, so not used.

Thanks for the help on all of this.

Regarding the cleaning part. Is it smart to clean off the top of the cylinders and pistons?

And is there a gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe?

Also, when putting on the exhaust/intake manifold gasket, which is the head side and which is the manifold side?

Regarding exhaust manifold gasket application, I found this information from Felpro website...

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets:
Exhaust manifold gaskets are another gasket type we get questions on. When installing Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets, if there is a smooth, metallic side and a composite side, the metallic side should be installed facing out, meaning toward the exhaust manifold. This smooth surface of the shiny side will allow the flange of the exhaust manifold to slide as it expands and contracts during heat cycling from engine operation.

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

I completed the head gasket job and took the car for a 15 mile drive.  Being that this is my first time adjusting valves, there is a slight "ping" noise while running.  I also couldn't get one of the exhaust pipe nuts completely secure to the manifold.  When I first took off the exhaust pipe, 2 nuts came off fine.  The last one came off but i took the entire bolt with it.  Now when I try to attach it, the nut won't screw on all the way.

Here's the good news..Upon starting her up, there was some white smoke from the tailpipe, as expected.  After running the car a few minutes, the smoke decreased.  I then took the car for a 15 mile drive at speeds up to 45 mph.  Temperature during the drive stayed directly between "H" and "C."  When I arrived home I observed for white smoke and there was zero.  Checked the coolant level and it was full/normal.  

Besides having a few loose ends such as re-adjusting the valves hot again, and getting the one exhaust nut/bolt completely on, I feel the job has been successful.  

Mucho Thanks to Ratsun!

datzenmike
Lockleaf
B210GX
TENDRIL
Draker
LenRobertson
Ratwagon1600
and all others!

I appreciate it.
  • Like 1

So just curious... how much do you think it cost you to fix it yourself. Tools if any and parts. Pay yourself what ever you get paid per hour times how long you think this took you.

Now just imagine, if you make $20 an hour, you have to work 6 hours to pay that mechanic for one hour of his time and he knows no more than you about your B-210.

So just curious... how much do you think it cost you to fix it yourself. Tools if any and parts. Pay yourself what ever you get paid per hour times how long you think this took you.

Now just imagine, if you make $20 an hour, you have to work 6 hours to pay that mechanic for one hour of his time and he knows no more than you about your B-210.

Thanks for the confidence and all the help. You're right. Just because a mechanic has a lift and some tools doesn't mean they know jack squat about the ins and outs of the Datsun. They'd read the service manual just as I did to get the information such as torque specs and valve lash measurements. I'm very excited and feel empowered and a sense of increased pride doing the work myself. It's things like this that make me excited. It's too bad there are many professions, some mechanics included, who scam people or just overcharge for services. I'm a physical therapist and I'm ashamed that it happens in my profession as well. I have learned that ethics have no place in American business. Scamming is the goal.

As far as cost for the job...I bought the head gasket, manifold gasket, water outlet gasket, 4 new spark plugs, a few metric sockets, brake cleaner spray, 5 quart jug of motor oil, oil filter, some distilled water, coolant, and feeler gauge. I used torque wrenches from Autozone, free if returned within 90 days. Without paying myself hourly, as I took my sweet time reveling in the fun of the process, I may have spent $80 total. With all the enjoyment I've had, the process has been priceless.

I look forward to learning more and have more projects thought out for the future!

• Like 1

That's what I like to hear.

There is immeasurable enjoyment working with your own hands. (It's a mental therapy) Your car is on the road because of YOU! No one else, just you. This is what owning a vintage auto is all about. Cars today are really not that fixable and owners have been weened away from doing their own work mostly because they are so complex. Datsuns are easy to understand and are fixable by their owners but there are not that many mechanics out there who have worked on them and this make YOU an expert. If you are going to own a Datsun, you should know how to fix them or care to know.  

• Like 2

Just think, you got quoted $4500 to get that car back on the road! You did it for about 2% of that :)

There are many of us who do this for the therapy. It's my only real outlet, without which I rapidly descend into straight bastardy. And the sense of satisfaction I feel every time I start a car and think "that's because of me" is awesome. I just finished grad school, and honestly I get more satisfaction from a good day spent on my 510 or 720 than i do from having graduated law school. :)

• Like 1