White smoke coming from tailpipe

jboulukos

Thank you for the information regarding the fail safe thermostats...I plan to get a regular 180F thermostat.

Here's a list of the parts I will replace.

-cylinder head gasket

-water outlet gasket

-thermostat

-exhaust and intake gasket

Is there anything else I need or should replace with this head job?  Is there a thermostat gasket/any other gaskets?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_4800.jpg

I know the gasket on the right is for the water outlet.  Is the gasket on the left to go between head and thermostat?

No,  one is for an A13, A15 some A14's without the EGR head  and the other is for an A14 with the EGR  

Order the one on the right, It will fit either, just cut the excess off to fit.. they are both for the thermostat

Then the two lower gaskets are for the heat riser manifolds, where the two manifolds are bolted together.... Im not gonna go look for pics   SEARCH

• Like 1

Ok thanks.

So I removed the thermostat...had "Nissan" on it so it might be original to the car. I took off the rocker assembly and then did the loosening sequence on the head bolts. Took them off. Now my main question is how to remove the head from the car...with manifolds and carb attached? I took off the top screws to the manifolds however the lower screws are difficult to get to. I'm excited to remove the head and examine it.

No,  one is for an A13, A15 some A14's without the EGR head  and the other is for an A14 with the EGR  

Order the one on the right, It will fit either, just cut the excess off to fit.. they are both for the thermostat

Then the two lower gaskets are for the heat riser manifolds, where the two manifolds are bolted together.... Im not gonna go look for pics   SEARCH

True story!  I pulled the thermostat out today. There is no gasket between thermostat and cylinder head, as you've stated.  There is only the water outlet gasket.

Undo the exhaust piping from the bottom of the exhaust manifold. That will allow you remove everything as a set.

That bracket you took a pic of is for attaching an engine hoist to hook the engine and pull it out.

• Like 1

Excellent.

So I will undo the exhaust pipe and pull it out by hand.  

Then remove the manifolds from the head.

Next, clean the block, bolt holes, cylinder head surface.

Then have the head examined and pressure tested.

Put gasket on and reassemble.

I know the torque specs for head bolts, manifold nuts, rocker arm assembly.  And I know the valve clearance measurements, cold and hot.  Are there torque specs for the water outlet or just tighten snug with a wrench? 

Help. I detached the exhaust and I was just about ready to lift the head with the manifold/carb together when I realized there is one more attachment. It's a small metal cable with rubber hose around it that screws into the firewall and goes to the backside side of the carb. How can I detach this?

Pulled off the gasket and found that it was compromised on the last cylinder.  The corresponding cylinder did not have water inside but had a slightly different color than the others.  Does this look like a classic blown head gasket?

IMG_4833.jpg

Using starter fluid is just an angry cleaning solution. You can use brake clean or whatever as well.

And yes, that looks like a pretty classic head gasket issue. It almost looks like the gasket was misaligned when last installed, but that may be totally incorrect.

Nice work man!

• Like 1