Finally!!! A real Datsun!

Rhino13

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta go look in the shop once I'm actually up and about to see if it's open or closed. All liners are in tact on the head, the header was offered on trade for parts I don't need, but I do have the cast 4 to 1 manifold also with all the emissions holes plugged.

• Like 1

I'll talk to Al, I could've sworn when we talked about it he told me he had a u67 for me so maybe we picked up the wrong one since it was dark and I was in a hurry. Is the open w58 not very good for performance? Realistically with a stock z22 bottom end and used parts on the head it won't be a "performance" motor, but I'm hoping for it to have some get up once I get the SU's on there.

• Like 1

I'll talk to Al, I could've sworn when we talked about it he told me he had a u67 for me so maybe we picked up the wrong one since it was dark and I was in a hurry. Is the open w58 not very good for performance? Realistically with a stock z22 bottom end and used parts on the head it won't be a "performance" motor, but I'm hoping for it to have some get up once I get the SU's on there.

Beats me which head you grabbed . . .  lol . but you can come by and get whatever you need . 

• Like 3

If you are going for performance the open W58 is probably not what you want. The close W58 would be better, but still a smog head. Not sure if you'd notice a difference on the butt dyno.

• Like 2

W58 open chamber and U67 open chamber heads are basically the same head except for the exhaust outlet shape, and unless you are going to be revving it up to 6000rpms constantly like on a race track there will be little difference between the two heads flow wise.

Both heads have big valves, and big intake holes/runners, I guess in the end you should use the head that matches whatever exhaust manifold you want to use, round port exhaust manifold, use the W58 head, square port exhaust manifold, use the U67 head, or better yet, use the head in the best condition.

Or go out and find another head like an A87 closed chamber head with big valves, port the intakes out to 1 1/2 inch and you basically have a 219/V912 head.

• Like 3

Thanks Craig and wayno, I will hold on the w58 if it's not going to make much difference. I want it to be quicker than my 720's, but I'm also not going to be constantly redlining it like a race motor. It will be used as my daily driver while I swap my 2wd 720 onto the 4x4 chassis, then it'll get cleaned up more and driven less.

• Like 1

If your going to spend money on a head, find something better than an open chamber head that will get you close to 9 to 1 compression ratio, I don't think that will happen with a open chamber head unless you have flat top pistons, or a very shallow dished piston.

I built an LZ23 hybrid engine with stock Z24 pistons(dished) and a highly modified closed chamber head(stock cam) which got me an 8.9 to 1 compression ratio, I am very happy with the results, I put my 15+ year old SUs on it and it went Varoom down the road, I used a Z22E block. 

• Like 2

I have thought about doing the lz23 but the z22 motor I got had bottom end work done recently so I'm not going to bore it for now and build an lz22. I'm hoping it'll be good power for the 521, I know I'll probably upgrade eventually but for a daily driver it should do.

• Like 1

Made some progress today, not much but every bit counts right?

Cleaned up the gauge cluster glass and cover

IMG_20160216_141200274_zps83zhvikt.jpg

Got a thermostat housing

IMG_20160216_204705900_zpshhkpim31.jpg

Cleaned up the valve cover more

IMG_20160216_204713766_zpsw3cf7ij8.jpg

And got a 521 pan!

IMG_20160216_204722919_zpsftdn15av.jpg

I really need to paint the block, what kind of paint do you guys like for doing it yourself?

• Like 1

Should I use z22 timing gear with an l20b chain or do I need l20b timing gear? I haven't had any l20b timing stuff so I don't know if they're the same or different.

I have an l20b timing cover coming soon.

Also can I just use an l20b head gasket since I'm not boring it?

• Like 1

Man, I remember when I brought my truck home and cracked into for the first time. Had to put a radiator heater in there for a day to dry out the metal before I got to work. This has been such an awesome journey that never stops. Nice score and good looking truck!!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well not much has happened other than cleaning it up a bit more here and there. I am thinking about putting an entire 720 floor pan in the 521 because I have a 720 shell with perfect floors. I would drop the 521 into the 720 frame but it was tweaked in an accident so that's becoming a trailer. I measured the 521 compared to the 720 standard cab and the 521 is about 3 inches shorter and about an inch wider between doors and exactly the same in the floor pans. So there's not much play, but I do have more sheet metal and access to cheap square tube. I'm thinking about making a thin sub frame that will help the cab be more rigid and not have weak spots around the edges. Has anyone done this or something similar? I know Bob put the miata under the 520 but I'm only wanting to remake the underside of my cab using a 720 standard cab floor as the base.

• Like 1

I did weld new floors (front side) into my 521. They were pretty bad when I got her. Not too bad a job. just have to take your time and do a good job. Daniel C has a nice write up about his floor when he did them. Should be under ratsun Datsun thread, I think.

• Like 2