Finally!!! A real Datsun!

Rhino13

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send me a picture of it Hobo, maybe I'll put it in my 720 and sell the perfect condition d21 bench I have in there, for how nice it is it's not very comfy.

I'd really like to get an early mustang seat to put in the 521, but I may just end up putting in another seat rail on both sides and put buckets in.

• Like 2

Hmm, maybe I'll put my nice seat in the 521 and find some buckets to put back in the 720. The ones that came with the truck didn't lock in place at all and the backs were loose too, I had a toolbox in the back to hold up the backs of the seats, but you'd have to brace yourself every time I hit the brakes. It was a true driving experience, truly scary.

• Like 1

I'm going to pick up the z22 today so the lz build will start soon. I know I need the l20 timing cover, a different oil pan, and obviously the L series timing components. What holes do you have to fill or open on the head gasket? And if I'm not boring it out will I still need to splice the front of the l20 head gasket? I plan on inspecting the motor before I tear it down completely, I think it was rebuild fairly recently so I may not need to do much to the bottom end.

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin

I ended up scoring a full 720 that I can get floor pans, motor, transmission, seat, gas tank, hopefully I can modify the pedals to fit, brake booster and parts for the disc swap, radiator, and possibly parts of the wiring harness

IMG_20160202_121240332_zpsinbtlnhs.jpg

• Like 2

I got the z22 block and parts from Hobo a while back, I needed a z22 crank for the lz, and now I have it along with pretty much everything else I need for the 521. I'm going to put the u67 on the motor from that truck and my neighbor is going to buy the rest of the z motor parts I have, buy a crank to build it, and buy a shell from me so he's got transportation. I may know someone with an l18 crank if you're still looking.

• Like 1

I got the z22 block and parts from Hobo a while back, I needed a z22 crank for the lz, and now I have it along with pretty much everything else I need for the 521. I'm going to put the u67 on the motor from that truck and my neighbor is going to buy the rest of the z motor parts I have, buy a crank to build it, and buy a shell from me so he's got transportation. I may know someone with an l18 crank if you're still looking.

Yes. I still need an L18 crank. 

• Like 2

Yes. I still need an L18 crank.

Do you need the crank in order to drive your truck down during the shows? If not I could have one at Rats with Dats, if you'll be coming down at all.

Well I pulled the motor out of the 720 and got it stripped down. I was told it had bearings and rings recently so I'm going to leave the crank in and I've already cleaned all mating surfaces. Now I need to locate an oil pan and timing cover, order an l20 timing kit, and clean up the head. When I picked the head up I didn't really look it over because I was picking up the rest of a motor in pieces, it was dark, and I was in a hurry. Anyway I thought it was a u67 but it's a w58.

I lined up some SU's and was offered headers on trade so I'll run those depending on what they look like. Going to do the floors, take the bed off and see if I can fit the 720 gas tank, if not it'll go in the bed or I'll make a keg tank. Does anyone know if 720 brake and clutch pedals can be fitted to a 521?

Mocked up the w58

IMG_20160210_170546411_HDR_zpsovvfddlu.j

The 720 rad I'll be fitting in the 521

IMG_20160210_170556695_HDR_zpscvjpdfsz.j

And yes, that entire z motor is painted Chevy orange

• Like 1