Su carbs question/identification

Lockleaf

There is a set of su carbs and manifold for sale near me. Only info the guy has is "they are for a 510".

Do these look like a set for an L series?

What's a reasonable amount to pay for a set like this?

gallery1

More pics coming, on my phone and its slow to post lots of pics

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The manifold sure looks like it. The early Z car also used 4 mounting bolts too, but likely these were together at one time.

I hate to differ with you Mike, I believe the manifold is a SSS for the L-4 motor.  If you look closely, there are two carb mounting studs with the 4 stud isolators and Roadster carbs.  This should fit a 510 nicely.  If they could be bought for $125 it'd be a deal.

I am not impressed with the linkage connecting the two carbs, it is just a piece of metal connected to the spring return arms.

They do kinda look like roadster carbs, but they are set up on the wrong sides, the left one is on the right, and the right is on the left, as the bowls are supposed to be next to each other in the middle, but in the photos the bowls are on the outsides.

DSCN4942.JPG

DSCN4943.JPG

Maybe they are real British SU's?  This is a pic from Dave Patten's stash on datsun510.com.  The caption says these are british SU's on an SSS manifold.  Fuel bowls are on the outside, like those I am looking at.

P10102921.JPG

Although now that I look at that pic more closely maybe not.  Those use throttle linkage to actuate, not a cable.  Though the ones I'm looking at could just be modified, they do have that chintzy metal strap connecting the cable linkages...  Did any Datsun SU style carbs ever come cable actuated?

Banjo fittings are wrong, they look like roadster carbs to me, like the ones I have on my U20 roadster.

They probably put on that way because they would hit each other put on the way they are on the roadsters, as the roadster manifold has them 8 1/4 inches apart, while the L20b manifold has the about 7 1/4 inches apart, so they put them with the bowls on the outsides and made there own funky linkage.

I have a roadster to look at and measure.

DSCN1488.JPG

Although now that I look at that pic more closely maybe not.  Those use throttle linkage to actuate, not a cable.  Though the ones I'm looking at could just be modified, they do have that chintzy metal strap connecting the cable linkages...  Did any Datsun SU style carbs ever come cable actuated?

All mine are cable or a cable/linkage combo like the roadster, but I don't have any 510s either.

That set has a cable connection on it, see it right next to the funky piece of metal tying the two carbs together on the left carb in the photo.

gallery1

I don't know for sure they are roadster carbs, there are differences, maybe they are Z car carbs, I don't really know there design at all, I but I believe they are held on the manifold with 4 bolts.

Maybe they are real British SU's? 

Those aren't British. They're Japanese. I'm betting 240Z.

If you want to find out, search youtube for z therapy's rebuild video. The first 5 minutes of the video all he talks about is how to identify them and what the differences are.

Academic at this point. Universal joint in my wife's Subaru exploded today, so toy money becomes rebuild driveshaft money.

Here's the ad if anyone wants them. I will be happy to arrange to pick them up and ship them if necessary.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=37745417&cat=&lpid=