Christmas came early today.

Some background before getting to some amazing news. I've worked where I am for about 23 years. It's outside physical work, often hard, all year, all weather.  I'm at or very near retirement age although these days no one really likes to call it that. It's kind of a gray area. I bike to work to stay somewhat fit for it. I like hard outdoor work. Didn't know this and have never worked anywhere else for more than 5 years all my adult life, usually just months. My excuse is that I just didn't know I was an outside dog.

Up until a couple of years ago I was told to try and limit my non chargeable time to 5%. That's 2 hrs a week on anything in the office not really work related. Usually I file plans, sweep, run errands, change light bulbs, repair equipment etc. Well just over a year ago I got a new boss and I complained that I was exceeding my 5% daily! He said 'I do the time sheets, you keep doing whatever you do, don't worry about it'. Mind you I don't sit around drinking coffee, I do keep busy.

So this afternoon I come in from a job and my boss says you and I have a meeting with Bob in a minute. Bob's the office manager. OMG it's time they tell me I'm heading for the glue factory. I'm done. Maybe I can drag it out till next summer.... Don't worry he says. The problem is we have a huge presence in the oil sands and hydro projects up north. To be able to work there there is company wide drug testing in place, a safety program blah blah blah. This year we've had too many accidents (again, mostly up north), and are teetering on the edge of being disqualified from work up there. The company is shitting bricks that an employee will hurt themselves and fuck things up. So...

Because of a previous back injury that can under the wrong circumstances be aggravated they don't want me to work until the New Year starting today. (it gets even better)

So Mike, take the next two weeks off and we'll give you two weeks extra holiday pay. Or come in and hang out in the office if you're bored at home and just do whatever you please. I said 'can I surf Ratsun all day?' Bob without a pause said, 'what ever you like, or go home. If you're here and someone wants stamps from the post office or pick something up or deliver a plan you could do that too.'

How fucking cool is that?

• Like 14
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's around back....

In the barrel?

That's pretty cool, Mike.  I work in the trades, so I don't really get paid time off, but my boss has always given a big enough bonus to cover 2-3 weeks off.  That, and one of the jobs I've been on gave us Gopro Hero 4 Black editions for Christmas. :D

• Like 6