Broken Asian tranny

Okay so paging datzenmike, I just got a 73 620 on the cheap because it wasn't shifting. Figured worst case scenario tranny or clutch replacement. It didn't take long to see one of the flanges where the shifter pin goes through on the tranny was snapped off It's stuck in gear now. Do I have any kind of option to make something work so it'll shift again without pulling the tranny? Is this common with these short tails?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the 5 speed I put in my 710!

If it has that style transmission, it isn't a '73 or has been swapped. Either way, no, it's not common to break this part. Perhaps it is jammed in gear and the owner tried to force it out of gear and broke one of the 'ears'.

If you have the part, put it in place with the pin to help hold it... and you can get at it, just MIG weld it. Don't be surprised if the tranny is jammed and has to come out.

Haven't seen you in a while. How's it going? 

Mike the picture is just for reference to what part is broken it's just an original 4speed in my truck. I have heard that if it's stuck in gear I can drop the tranny pan, and click it outta gear with a flathead or something is that true? As for

The broken flange is my only option to weld? Any way of a temporary fix to get me by for a week or two while I search for a tranny replacement?

I've been in Mexico for a few months! :) scouring the Barrios of Mexico city for quad cab 620's to take home.

Redeye

It's the actual flange

Side question. The truck is a short bed single cab 73 with short tail tranny. I have read that if I get a long tail tranny out of a late model 620, 280zx,maxima, etc it will bolt in with the front half of a late 620 driveline. BUT will it have to be a drive line from A short bed single cab? Or is a kc/longed the same length on the front half?

Pull n Save in Spokane has listed on their inventory '81, '83, and '84 pickups at the Valley store and a 1980 pickup at the North location. No way of knowing if these have 4-spd, 5-spd, or autos or if they even still have trannys in them. Price on their price list seems to be $65 for a tranny with a $5 core charge and of course WA sales tax.

I think the '80 may be the only one that will fit your truck correctly without swapping the bell housing. I don't think your 4-speed bell housing will transplant onto one of the newer 720 with Z engine trannies, but that is getting out of the range of my knowledge.

I may be in Spokane tomorrow and near the Valley P&S. I can check what is actually in the yard if you want me to. I'm not sure my travels will take me near the North store.  I can check there too if I get on the north side. You might PM HRH in Spokane too. He may have a stray tranny locked up in his shed or know someone who does.

Len

The picture supplied is of an FS5W71B that came with many different applications L series (4 and 6) Z series, CA, SD and LD series. There are 3 different internal ratios (wide, mid and close) and two different lengths if used on a Z series. A 4 speed front case 71B will fit a 5 speed 71B.

The '80 720 would be an L series. All '80s were a wide ratio.

I don't believe 720s came with a 4 speed here in the US. The 1980 should have an L20 in it, and if it's manual it should be a five speed.

The 720 with L20B and later Z22s came with 4 speeds, but most chose the optional 5 speed. All diesels came with 5 speeds. When the Z24 was introduced in Nov '82, (part way into the '83 model year) the four speed was discontinued.

SICK620 $65 is a good price! Get two. Even if from a later 720 you can swap your front case on. Just confirm that your present trans length (probably 31.5") is the same as the one you go get.