Small block 521

I sold the engine and those parts like a week after I bought the truck. And yes most likely the 8.8 with a posi. I was even thinking a gm 12 bolt because it's 6 lug but it might be larger than the datsuns pattern haven't investigated.

As far as the badges goes I was thinking fender well, firewall or dash

As far as I know, all 6 lug patterns are the same except for the Toyota and Nissan 6 lug dually wheels, they are different.

As far as the "350" badges go, if they are out in the open, everyone knows what you have(shrug shoulders), leave them curious.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, all 6 lug patterns are the same except for the Toyota and Nissan 6 lug dually wheels, they are different.

As far as the "350" badges go, if they are out in the open, everyone knows what you have(shrug shoulders), leave them curious.

I've heard really good things about the stang rear end but I would like to only buy one set of rims and if the 12 bolt works just as good why not, as well as keeping the chevy theme going

image_zpsasmidb9b.jpg

so 3rd, 4th diff? Perhaps the problem is elsewhere?

Stock 521s use an H-190 AL or aluminum case. I don't know what it was replaced with but a later 620 or 720 were steel case.

image_zpscda7uv3y.jpg

Here's the headers next to the steering column, it's got about 1/16-1/8 gap

Simple fix. Mark the offending pipes where it is close and dent them in with a sledge.

• Like 1

Heres a little interior shot, for the transmission I wanted a manual with an overdrive. After doing some research I chose the NV2500. These come stock in mid 90's Chevy silverados. No need to deal with belhousing issues, shift linkage (top loader) or any of that it just bolts right up using the clutch, slave cylinder and flywheel from the silveradophoto%201_zpszquhctaz.jpg

love this ! Also can I have your dash thanks

Stock 521s use an H-190 AL or aluminum case. I don't know what it was replaced with but a later 620 or 720 were steel case.

Simple fix. Mark the offending pipes where it is close and dent them in with a sledge.

So the 620/720 diff would probobly take more beatings? When I bought it it came with a replacement diff that was also aluminum. As for the pipes I used a 3/4 breaker bar and just tapped it a few times works great. And as for the torquing Ive given it some good revs at operating temp and never seen it touch anything when it fell back

• Like 1

So the 620/720 diff would probobly take more beatings? When I bought it it came with a replacement diff that was also aluminum. As for the pipes I used a 3/4 breaker bar and just tapped it a few times works great. And as for the torquing Ive given it some good revs at operating temp and never seen it touch anything when it fell back

Put it this way, the open diff will break inside way before the case does.  They also come in ratios 3.364, 3.545, 3.70, 3.90, 4.11, 4.375, 4.625, 4.875

The aluminum case can be 4.875 or 4.375 if from L520 or PL521.  

Steel... 3.364 through 4.625 were in 720s

Steel... 4.11 through 4.625 were found in the 620

All truck diffs have the 29 spline side gears that will take the truck axles. Many of the 2wd 4 cylinder D-21 trucks also use this diff.

• Like 1

image_zpshi7uxyvp.jpg

So today's project was fabbing out the slave cylinder. I wanted to figure out a way to use the stock pedal and hole. The problem being that the "linkage" or rod whatever you wanna call it for the chevy is about 4-5 inches longer than that of the datsun. So that's where the block comes into play

Why are you swapping masters? The size of the cylinders look pretty close. 

Can you measure the stock one from the firewall surface to the center of the pin while holding it in snug?

Now put the stock 521 adjuster rod in the newer master and see how close or far off they are. 

Just cut and weld the ends back on at a dimension that works. 

• Like 1

image_zpshi7uxyvp.jpg

So today's project was fabbing out the slave cylinder. I wanted to figure out a way to use the stock pedal and hole. The problem being that the "linkage" or rod whatever you wanna call it for the chevy is about 4-5 inches longer than that of the datsun. So that's where the block comes into play

I can't tell because it's covered by the block of wood, but if the rod coming out of the master cylinder is the same diameter all the way down, why not cut it off and thread it, then you could screw on  a yoke and it would be adjustable.

• Like 1

Why are you swapping masters? The size of the cylinders look pretty close.

Can you measure the stock one from the firewall surface to the center of the pin while holding it in snug?

Now put the stock 521 adjuster rod in the newer master and see how close or far off they are.

Just cut and weld the ends back on at a dimension that works.

the datsun cyl is 5/8 and chevy is 11/16 so I think just for posterity I'm gonna use the cyl that was intended for it.

I can't tell because it's covered by the block of wood, but if the rod coming out of the master cylinder is the same diameter all the way down, why not cut it off and thread it, then you could screw on a yoke and it would be adjustable.

I like where your going with that, I think that'd be the cleanest way to do it. Then I won't need the block and I'm much better at cutting threads than I am at welding

You don't need the block. It makes you look like you still write your name in crayon.

Thanks for the feedback and yeah since you guys have given me some better ideas I will be pursuing them instead. As is the nature of ratsun the open discussion and exchange of ideas... So thanks for helping me not look like "I write with crayon"

• Like 1