$49 Battery 24F 1-yr new at WalMart in Greensburg, PA near Pittsburgh

$48.80 to be exact w/$12 core charge.

They are selling used batteries for $50 in the stores and salvage yards here.  Even the Interstate Battery b&m is $46 for a 2-3.5 year old used battery.)  Auto Supermarket sells Seconds for $70.

New batteries are $90 to $140 (Sears gets that dubious award.)

The WM price is Crazy Eddie Cheap and I need one!

EDIT:  I just bought one and it is a heavy battery at 40 pounds.  However, it is taller than the core support - the positive terminal to hood clearance is only 1/2 inch.  So some kind of insulator boot - maybe split open radiator hose or ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up, we swore by Everstart batteries.  They're cheap to start with.  They have a 2 year replacement guarantee.  They never last more than 1.5 years.  Pay $50 up front then keep trading them out for free batteries for life.

Looks like the $48 version only has a 1 year warranty so it may be chancy:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=battery%2024f&cat_id=91083

Do you plan to run your 620 in cold PA winters? Do you short trip it a lot with many starts and not much charging time between? Drive a lot with headlights on? Just things to consider.

For all I know the $94 Everstart with a 2 year warranty may be almost the same battery internally and you are paying almost twice the price for the extra year warranty. Or maybe the $48 battery is like a Fram oil filter. I think you should be the battery lab rat for Ratsun and let us know how it works out. :lol:

If the lady Burabuda posted is part of the team that does the free installation for the more expensive battery, it would definitely be worth the extra money!

Len

I just got it and it is a heavy battery at 40#.  Back in the 70's I delivered auto parts for a couple years and there were batteries so light it was like there was nothing in them.

The 24F is a lot taller than the battery I had in there -one that I scrounged.  The Positive post has about 1/2" hood clearance when sitting in the plastic tray - I'm going to make some kind of split radiator hose cover for it just in case.  Keep in mind the usual battery terminal ends' high point are the 7/16" head screws.  I haven't lower the end as far as it goes, but it may be better to have a proper cable end that would be lower.

I remember Delcos back in the 70's were the crappiest batteries out there.

And yes, they are probably selling the same battery that is twice as much with the Name and Warranty.

I always bought blems or seconds when they were $20-30 and NEVER had an issue.  Now at $70 they are on drugs.

Oh and Man, I have to get the proper version of that pic!

That's why I told people it was easy to find (!)

I'm going to buy some sodium sulfate to add to this battery to try all the talk and historical references to it dramatically extending the life of a battery by making it much more difficult to sulfate the plates.  Lots of stories about Interstate Batteries using this and then not using it.

It is about $9 a pound shipped on eBay.  So with a cheap new battery, I figure why not try it.  It is actually dangerous on a sulfated battery because it can cause shorts to form between plates which kills the battery.  Oh, an for maybe 13.7 centers per battery, they have material they can place between plates that prevent shorting.  But why do that when you can just sell another new battery? 

I looked at batteries at Advance and most were around $150 and as high as $180 for certain sizes - and I'm not even talking about the round cell Optimas.  They are also sell AGM (Absorbant Glass Matt) for cars - this is the tech that is used in Sealed Lead Acid "Gel" Cell batteries like in computer Uninterupted Power Supplies, emergency lighting, and kid's electric toy cars they can drive around in.

Optimas suck now anyways.  They used to be good, and I'm still sporting a red top from ~2002 in my DD, so I'd say it's paid for its premium price, but I wouldn't buy one anymore.  Last battery I bought was a couple years ago for my 521 - one of the AGM SuperStarts from Oreilly's.  Again, it cost a lot more, but I've been really happy with it.  It just sat for ~4 months without use and started my 521 up no problem...

I'll clue you guys in on a little secret that's pretty basic:  Cheap batteries are exactly that.  You're paying for the amount of lead in the battery and some warranty.  The "cheap" batteries have thinner plates and less lead, hence the cheapness.  They WILL go bad much quicker than a quality battery.  That 24F you found weights 40 pounds?  According to my information, my NAPA 7524F (mid-grade battery) weighs 42.9 pounds.  Think that extra 3 pounds isn't worth the money?  Trust me, it is.

I'm not saying you can't rock a cheap battery and have it work.  I'm just saying you get what you pay for.

Also JCI makes Walmart's batteries just like they make ours. (NAPA)  The difference is JCI makes them cheaper for Walmart because that's what Walmart requests.  Things that are the same are not always the same. ;)

• Like 1

I just install new batteries into the used cars I inspect and install needed good battery into what ever I want to. 

My Lexus just got a 3,000 mile old factory battery. 

My 521 just got a 7,000 mile old battery. 

The Honda I just sold had just been given a 12,000 mile old battery. 

All 100% State Of Health. All quality batteries. All free. Hell, I got paid half an hour for each. 

• Like 1

The nearest COSTO is about 45 minutes away and only if there is no Pittsburgh rush hour traffic.  It is a "nasty" drive that is no fun at all.  Plus their membership is really expensive, something like $70 a year?

Sam's is close, but I'd much rather have COSTO.