SWDP 9TH ANNUAL BBQ 2016

gene knight

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of us are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn just down the street from the park.

Hilton Garden Inn Fontana

10543 Sierra Avenue,

Fontana, CA 92337

909-822-7300

Hey Danny! I was planning on cruising out to the BBQ and spending the night somewhere Sat. I will make a reservation at the Hilton. Thanks for the heads up! See you and everyone else soon! Brad

• Like 1

Brad be great to have you at the barbecue.  I believe Gene Knight and I are leaving Phoenix Saturday morning at 5:20 AM.  Should be to the park about noon with Gene driving!  It is normally a 4.5 hour trip so Gene should be able to drive it in 6.5 to 7 hours!  LOL

Keep an eye on the news, especially guys coming from the east. There is a huge fire currently burning at the base of El Cajon Pass that has the I-15 closed in both directions. 82,000 homes in surrounding communities have been evacuated. The last time that stretch of highway burned it filled the Inland Empire with smoke, ruining the air quality, making it hard to breathe, and making the sky look like armeggedon. The BBQ park is only 8-9 miles away the way the crow flies. No risk of park burning, but it could seriously affect the event depending on wind direction. Anyone living in Fontana, Berdoo, Colton area have any input?

• Like 1

Here is a ten day Fontana CA weather forecast link

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Fontana+CA+USCA0384:1:US

According to the forecast on Saturday the wind will be WSW 14 mph, which means it will be blowing the smoke from the fire toward AZ and NV away from the park and the meet.

I15 will likely still be closed due to the fire so alternate routes will need to be planned by barbecue attendees that normally use I15 to Fontana.

Here is a link to the LA Times showing the road closure and location of the El Cajon Fire.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1B3AsFgAEe0sDaezTLB-P5Tz1SSE

I hope this helps get people and there Datsuns to the barbecue.  Please be safe in your travels.

Good news Seeker620 & ty for the update.

I'm leaving from work in Needles CA...I may just come down the 95 south & connect with the 10 west instead of chancing the 15 being closed again. We have Chris bringing his grill & Guy is buying the food tonight. A few of us are bringing EZ ups & coolers for drinks so we're pretty much covered all around.

• Like 1