E1/J13 Interchangeability with MG/Nash parts?

I like this thread. Just to get some stuff down where people can find it, here is my list.

Someone mentioned MG brakes on their E1 powered truck, so I will add this: I have an E1 powered L320 and have replaced the entire brake system with L620 parts. I'm pretty sure I read about this swap somewhere.  Gets you a dual master and easier to source parts.

I had to ream out the hole the master cylinder goes through in the firewall, iirc.  All slaves went in, just fine. I replaced all the brake hoses with 620 parts and all the lines with standard univeral autoparts store pieces bending them to the correct shapes, and got the front splitter/distribution block off a junkyard truck. The hoses need 620 clips to secure them to the body, i think.

Headlight bucket seals for a classic mini worked for the l320.

The valve cover bolt seals from a mini worked on the e1 also. 

My truck has a chevy one wire alternator that a previous owner made a bracket for and installed. 

I'm currently in the process of adapting an early '70s TR6 fuel pump to the truck. I'm waiting on some fittings and will post the results in a couple of weeks. The TR6 pump has 5/16 flare threads. People on a triumph forum say that using compression fittings will leak, so Im going to try flare fittings. Alternatively, I believe the threads are close to 1\4"MIP,  so maybe those fittings can be used. I want to retain the hard line to the carburetor, so I'm going to test different fittings to get a proper fit. Pump costs $40 shipped and fittings should only add up to a few bucks. The pumps are readily available from a bunch of british parts sources.

The TR6 pump is designed to not use the spacer that my datsun used, and the arm looks like it should be a perfect fit sans the spacer.   

As far as heads go, it would be cool if some who lived near MossMotors in Goleta ,Ca could take a head down there and compare it to their various upgraded crossflow heads. They make them for pretty much every british application, but they aren't cheap. 

I would love to hear about water pump interchangeability, also. My pump is only a few years old. I got it from the nissan dealer in texas the 510 guys use, but at the time it was the last one they had in the system.

It's also good to keep in mind that E1s (and maybe J-series) were installed in fork lifts.  So, Perhaps there are some forklift repair places that can still get us parts.

Cheers.

June2021 Update.

I decided to do a complete restore, on this truck. I didn't do anything to the motor but clean off some of the oilly buildup, but everything came apart. All surfaces were sandblasted, holes filled, all bodywork completed, and painted in a beautiful blue (minicooper ice blue).   

Here is the update on the fuel pump. I was able to make the tr6 pump work, but it wasn't easy. The arm was not the correct length either with or without the datsun spacer. I ended up tracing the old arm (in the compressed position), and then tracing the new pumps arm and making a arm extension for the new pump so it would match. I then welded the extension to the new pump, being sure to keep the pump cool so as not to melt anything heat sensitive inside the pump.  Works great, and all the fittings I bought worked great as well. All hardlines are used after the pump, although I did need to get new tubing since the old hardlines were to difficult to bend into a usable shape.  So, if you have some metalworking skills and the ability to weld, the tr6 pump can be used. Not exactly a drop in replacement, though, but it only took me about an hour to modify it, and that was with a lot of head scratching.

Edited by MBL
  • Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic