Got the 510 dyno'd

DrRocks0

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mo betta all the way around!

t3/t4 are just an old design showing its age. They take a beating and can be had for cheap tho :)

Hell the RS is what...16yrs old now??

Power comes in at almost 1500 rpms earlier. Yay boost!

• Like 1

I'm making a bit under 300rwhp. GT3071r twin scroll 60mm .63 A/R, Exhaust w/ 84 trim, 71mm Compressor w/ 56 trim on a log mani, 3" DP and exhaust, 14psi on e85, stand alone Link ECU tuned by Rebello Racing on a blk top S13, stock top and bottom, stock cam.  As much as I'd hoped the spool up would be quicker with the smaller exhaust, I'm still not in positive territory until 3K rpm. The 3071r can boost to 24psi within it's efficiency rang, but I'll never go that far. If I had it to do over again, I'd either got a 2871r or the GTX30. 

Influenced by my own delusions of avarice I think. Going into my build, I had unrealistic expectations of one day making 450 hp :hyper:. So, I figured why not get all the peripherals I need right up front. Turns out, even at 300hp I'm loosing 50 of that to rubber smoke. Fun, but rubber smoke is useless on the track, and it's expensive. Had I known then what I know now, I would have gone a different direction. 

• Like 1

Influenced by my own delusions of avarice I think. Going into my build, I had unrealistic expectations of one day making 450 hp :hyper:. So, I figured why not get all the peripherals I need right up front. Turns out, even at 300hp I'm loosing 50 of that to rubber smoke. Fun, but rubber smoke is useless on the track, and it's expensive. Had I known then what I know now, I would have gone a different direction. 

have you tried throwing some cam gears on there and advancing the intake a few degrees and retarding the exhaust a couple? I've heard really good things with that setup. You might also have a really safe tune because of stock internals. 

• Like 1

No, I have static stock gears, but I'll research that.

I talked to Andrew (SR tuner in Chico) about using a stage 1 cam to get quicker spool up, and he said it would give more over all power, but not much advantage as far as quicker spooling. As he explains it, when boost comes on is mostly a product of displacement, and rpm in relation to turbine size, not the lift, or cam timing.

I've done some reading on lobe overlap, lift and timing for naturally aspirated engines, but after a while that shit gives me a headache. You know of any easy to follow explanation of how cam lift and timing effect turbo performance? 

I have a flexfuel sensor so the ECU adjusts tune according to gas/ethanol ratio. The gas tune is milder than the e85, but both are well within the "safe" range rather than aggressive. To be honest, I'm not jonesing for more power, just greater access to it. 

• Like 1

tbh i would've ended up with a disco potato but i was in the market just as the gt series turbos were becoming popular and so realized that burning rubber in 3rd gear was not my style

having said that, today you still got guys putting BIG turbos on their street cars. T4's!?!?

those cars will likely never see a twisty country road

• Like 1

Paradime, you could consider a short runner turbo manifold. I'm assuming you have an equal length ram horn manifold. One element of spool is air volume inside the manifold. Log cast manifolds often spool faster than ram horn because they have so little air volume to get moving. Based on what you said about power vs access, it might be a good choice for you. Less peak power, but you would get into it earlier in the rpms.

This one was made for an evo, but it gives the idea.

ts16.JPG

Very nice. And looking back at your previous posts I just realized you did say you were running a log manifold.

Is that set up to take advantage of your twin scroll turbo? If not then going that direction could still help you with your spool speed.

Regardless, nice setup you have going. It isn't often I talk to people about turbos and they are aware that log actually has some nice benefits if your goals are anything other than peak power.

Is that set up to take advantage of your twin scroll turbo? If not then going that direction could still help you with your spool speed.

Yes, that's what's so frustrating, the entire setup was designed around quick spooling, and a linear power curve. By no means is it an no off switch. The power is predictable and controllable at the peddle, but if you want the big guns within reach, you need to be in the upper register at all times. Although the SR is happy doing that all day, it just makes for a crazy hyper driving experience on a tight solo track. I really shouldn't bitch though, it's a 2.0L engine making a shit load of power. It'll never have the on demand torque of bigger displacement. That being said, I think a mild street cam would help wake up the low end a bit, boost, or no boost. Shit, if I had the money  :devil: I'd stroke the motor to a 2.3L and live fat...er.