720 engine swap options

Ole Blue

New to the forum but not new to Datsun's. Had a 510 since I was 12. Owned 3 510's, two 720's and a sentra here and there. Just picked up a 85 720 with a blown Z24 for my son. Not sure what happened, we'll know as soon as we crack it open. My question to the forum is what are my options out there for a torquey motor for this truck that doesn't use the z head and bolts up to the 5 sp already in there? KA maybe? z24 block with a L-series head? It's a two wheel drive LB King Cab 5 sp. What say you all?? My son will use this as a daily driver (40 miles a day) but we're looking for a good torquey option that will be reliable to haul and tow here and there. Thanks!! Considering all options. Let's hear it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if you want reliable, a ka would be a better option than the LZ hybrid because of the fuel injection. An L head will bolt to the z24 block, but you need to modify the timing cover and make your own gasket. A ka will also bolt right up to the 720 trans, you'll just have to deal with wiring, or convert it to run a carb.

• Like 1

Likely a blown head gasket, a common thing on Z24 when they reach 100K. Fix it for under $50 and run with it. Nothing wrong with the Z 24, it makes 130 torque at 2800 a real stump puller for a heavy 720.

An L head will fit but you would also need the manifolds which when installed on a left leaning Z series engine will be tilted down towards  the steering column.... might fit but carb won't be level at all. The fix is to replace the Z series transmission with a matching L series and get L series engine brackets that will allow the engine to be tilted over to the right in the L series position. Timing cover needs to be from an L20B and 2 cm taller with the timing chain lengthened to fit. Compression would be 10 to one.... a bit high.

• Like 1

Do you hate NapZ ? Or just don't know where parts are??  Emerys auto wrecking ,, over by Aberdeen auto wreckers had a few Napz 24s that turned over by hand in trucks out back. and a pretty nice head in the counter area, when we were there  6 months or so ago ..  I assume that kinda thing doesn't sell real fast,, maybe i'm wrong.

Bill out in Elma might be able to put you something together for a reasonable price,, if your block is still good and just hate Napz head on it.

What do you guys think about a KA24 with a turbo on it? What year and out of what can I find the best fit for this truck? 240SX? How much trouble is the swap? Just keeping my options open. Pulled the motor today. Teardown starting this week.

240sx fuel injection is the easiest to use. The engine bay harness is separate from the rest of the car harness and its multi point fuel injection. Truck stuff is built into one large harness and is throttle body until the very late 90s.

240 is front sump, truck is rear. Truck pan will not fit 240sx block because 240sx has a girdle on the main caps.

Best bet is likely 240sx intake manifold and fuel system, wiring and ecu attached to a truck block.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
4 hours ago, tommy Nadon said:

Hey there, did you ever come up with an easy engine swap for your 720? I have an 84 that runs great, but boat ton of miles. Should I just rebuild?

How do you know a previous owner did not already rebuild it?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

My wife's 2006 Scion xB commuter has 375,000 miles and it's still got the original clutch. One alternator change, two transmission changes, one water pump and a shit ton of brakes, but the motor is still going strong.

100,000 miles on an old Datsun motor is a bit long in the tooth, and 280,000.... that thing is probably worn to the nub.

• Like 1

Oil is much better today than it was prior to the '70. In '62 the PCV valve was put in cars and this extended the oil life by about twice. By the mid '50s most all engines had oil pumps. My dad's '51 Chev was splash oiling. With an oil pump you can start using a detergent oil that holds contaminants in suspension so an oil filter can sift it out. Before the PCV valve and detergent oils it was common to take the valve cover off like a jelly mold. Rocker arms were hidden under a thick layer of gunk. I used to do oil changes on dad Chev but could only get 3 of the 4 quarts into it. My neighbor helped my dad replace the babbitt faced bearings and there was an inch of white putty like crap in the bottom of the pan. Like I say if you got over 80k you were doing very well.

• Like 2

My 86 720 daily driver just rolled 470,000 runs strong but has rough idle. 

My 84 has 134,000 miles with a blown head gasket.  I have a rebuilt Z20 and just picked up an 85 720 automatic for it. I hope to get this truck on the road before May as I want to sell my 86 and  keep the 84 ST.  Not sure how the Z20 and the automatic will work but if I do not like it there is always a KA or VG option.

• Like 1

The '85 will have a locking torque converter and will work very well with the Z20. What differential? I would suggest a 4.11 for a heavy truck. Don't forget the Z24 is a torque monster the 2.0 is not. You'll need an automatic radiator for the cooler or get an add on RV cooler.