New owner of 520

lightz

That doesn't look like a Datsun bench seat, the shift lever is so close to the seat that I thought you might have an L block/5spd in it, I looked thru the whole thread and now think you have the stock engine/4spd and that seat it so far forward it almost interferes with the shift lever.

My stock seat back at my pelvis is likely 3/4 inches farther back than yours, as I do not have any stock steering columns in my 520/521 trucks my steering wheels are about even with the front of the seat while yours are at least 4 inches into the seat.

All my 520/521 trucks are highly modified, none of them have the stock steering column, and now all of them since last January are on 720 chassis/frames and I use 720 tilt steering columns, now you could go that route and have your steering gear modified to except a rag joint connection, but I would try to find a stock 520/521 seat and smaller steering wheel if I were you.

I have one truck(my 521 work truck) that still has the stock cab and it has a stock bench seat, I am now slightly under 6'(was 6'1"), I have just enough legroom to make it tolerable, when it was bought it had a small steering wheel, it worked for a while but when it became my work truck everything changed, L20b/5spd(1995ish) front disc brakes(2003ish), power steering and 720 tilt column(2005ish), and LZ23(2011ish), and 720 chassis/frame with dump bed and power brakes Jan. 2018, it is still a little cramped but I only drive it to local jobs for the most part, if I am going anywhere I take the 521 kingcab or 520 kingcab, that was my fix for having room on my 520/521 trucks.

Stock seat and smaller steering wheel would be suggestion, buckets might get you low enough, but legroom will be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lightz said:

Wayno,

You are right its a stock j13,4 Spd and it does not look like stock seat as you said that, do you have a picture of your smaller steering wheel.

That was a long time ago, I believe the aftermarket steering wheel was slightly over 13 inches across and it had a rubber coating on it that it a rather large soft gripping surface, it was fine for driving, but terrible for turning when I was not moving.

I believe normal Datsun steering wheels are around 15 inches across and they are skinny and hard, but easier to turn when not moving.

Keep in mind that I have been skinny all my life and legroom is my priority, if I cannot straighten my legs while driving every once in a while I am not happy, but I can say this for sure, you have very little legroom in that truck, it would make me crazy being in that truck for any extended length of time.

I know a couple guys that are 6'6" and they have Datsun 521 trucks(same cab size as a 520), they have installed really low bucket seats so their heads do not hit the roof, they are fine with being in the fetal position.

• Like 1