New owner of 520

lightz

How many splines did you turn the torsion bars.  I had a 521 years ago that had a weak torsion bar and to get the truck to sit level I went 1 splines on the good torsion bar and 2 spline on the weak one and then adjusted until I was close to factory settings then I set the truck on the ground measure from the ground up to bottm edge of the front of the cab behind the front tire.  I repeated this proces until I was satified with the ride height.  Besur to have someone bounce the front of your truck up and down after adjuster the torsion bars while you watch the adjuster brackets to see if the adjusters are loose when bouncing.  The adjusters should have tension on them through full travel up & down on them.  If there is looseness during the travel you need to tighten them up which will raise the front of the truck.

I suggest you do not turn the torsion bars more than 2 splines.

I used to measure to the front of the frame on both sides until I did a couple reindexes that the body was lower on the frame on one side then on the other side.  On these trucks measuring to the frames was not an option so I started measuring to the bottom of the front of the cab.

you have an old truck and if you can source a set of torsion bars replace them with a good pair.  If it was my truck this is what I would do.  But if you can't find a good set of torsion bars or money is tight just index the torsion bars as I described above.  These old trucks are not rocket science!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I went L20B automatic in my 66 520.  It was a lot of work to get it to fit how I wanted.  I would definitely go A14 with a 5 speed.  Not sure of availability of parts for the A14.  Check out the parts availability before deciding on a swap. 

This migh help some.

https://www.engine-specs.net/nissan/a14.html

If you can get the 92 horsepower A14 it would be a great upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

The A series engines are nearly bulletproof and would make a great swap. They also made an A15 which might have a bit more torque.

The killer will be finding a 5 speed. These were gobbled up by the Midget/Sprite owners for 5 speed conversions. The gearbox to look for would be a B210 dogleg 5 speed. These are 63 series and don't fit well in the Spridget tranny tunnels.

I have been looking at doing a swap in my V520 . I've been looking at the CA18DE RWD engine. These come up at JDM engine importers quite often. I just can't find any info on the overall length. I believe they are slightly shorter than an L series engine.

I was also thinking of the VG30E, which looked to be maybe an inch shorter than an L motors. It would be tight, but it sure would be a hot rod that AC could be added onto without any lag.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Dime Dave,

Been looking for the A14, two slip out of my hands, didn't make it there fast and they were sold, my issue now after driving it is room and how the steering wheel is so close to me,  going to change seats, putting buckets and if that don't work, steering column, which really don't want to do but need more room.

• Like 1

Somebody somewhere on here was talking about the same issue with the steering wheel being too close.  Take a look at the 520/521 build threads, maybe you will find something there.

Only in Canada will you see a sign that says " Ball and Hockey Playing Prohibited"

• Like 2

Buckets will not likely help, sure if you can get your body lower it will put the wheel higher and you will have more room but you will have way less legroom, legroom is what counts for me.

Is the back section of your bench seat thick or thin, mine is just under 4 inches thick half way down and the top is less than 3 inches thick, when I put a heavy duty seat cover on it I noticed I had less room as I did not sink as deep into the seat, if your seat back is thicker than I just described I would have it rebuilt thinner.

Also I would look into different steering wheels, find one that is flatter and smaller, that will give you more room but make it harder to steer/turn the wheel when your not moving.

• Like 1