Datsun 1963 RHD 320

windowless66

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those rims on the rear are wild - insane amount of dish. Anyone know what they would have come off?

I'm pretty sure they are a custom offset, the centres look like late 720. The welds also look so so on the backside. You can get 14 centres put in a 15 inch step up rim too here these are only a 14 though. Not sure how wide gr60 14h Bridgestone RD-211 steel. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone had internal dimensions for the 320 tub? and the dimensions or the top lip? I've bought one a fair distance from me and have to drive there fit it and come back on a ferry. Wanted to try and build a tray (probably timber) that is actually a Hardtop for the tub. Also wanted to take a waterproof lockbox with me that will fit inside the tub when I'm done. Any help much appreciated ;) 

• Like 1

The internal/inside dimensions are 72 and one half inches, which is just over 184 centimeters I think from front to back, and it is 56 inches, or just over 142 centimeters from side to side, there are some metal loops on the inside rear corners for the tailgate chains that may interfere with anything that may drop into the hole(photo below).

The outside dimensions are 75 and one quarter inches front to back, and 58 and one half inches from outside to outside, which is just over 191cm X 148.5cm, of course the external hooks on the outside of the box make it wider, but these are the top lip/rail measurements.

By the way, there are fender wells inside the box, there is about 36 inches between them, which is just slightly over 91 centimeters(91.4cm???).

DSCN5205.JPG

Measuring the actual inside of the tube is more complicated, I would need exact places to measure from, also these tubes get beat up over the years and tend to get pushed out from things rolling around inside the tub/box, especially the front piece and tailgate.

Just wondering if anyone had internal dimensions for the 320 tub? and the dimensions or the top lip? I've bought one a fair distance from me and have to drive there fit it and come back on a ferry. Wanted to try and build a tray (probably timber) that is actually a Hardtop for the tub. Also wanted to take a waterproof lockbox with me that will fit inside the tub when I'm done. Any help much appreciated ;)

• Like 2

Measuring the actual inside of the tube is more complicated, I would need exact places to measure from, also these tubes get beat up over the years and tend to get pushed out from things rolling around inside the tub/box, especially the front piece and tailgate.

That was exactly what I was after wayno Thanks heaps!!! If I was after any other measurements it would just be the depth (top lip to floor ridge), tailgate to rear of wheel arch and front of tub/box to wheel arch. I'll attach an MS paint diagram to show the positions I thought of for the lockbox :P

All these measurements are close, they are not exact, as the tub I am measuring is beat up, it's not as bad as some, but beat up never the less.

Red color which is tailgate inside to rear of wheel arch, 24 inches/61cm

Blue color which is from the inside upper front lip to the rear of the wheel arch, 48 and almost one half inch/123cm

Green color is from front upper inside lip to front of wheel arch, 16 1/2 inches/42cm

The depth of the box is measured from the top of the upper lip to the high part of the corrugated bed(highest spot), 15 3/4 inches/40cm 

The depth is about exact, so if your building a cover, you can expect if you make it 40cm it is going to stick up above the lip, it all depends on how much the bed or sides of bed have settled if they have at all, also I did this measuring in the dark with a flashlight.

Leave yourself wiggle room, I assume that the boxes are the same everywhere, but we in the USA didn't get things/options that the rest of the world did, like we didn't get long boxes till the Datsun 620, so maybe you should get the overall dimensions of the box/tub your going to pick up and make sure it is about the same as the ones I gave you, as I recall I have heard of a 320 having a longbox also, it was called a G320, and that truck had a longer chassis/frame, so everything would be different behind the cab.

• Like 1

What a champ Wayno! That'll make life heaps easier. I'll confirm the length of the Box before I start making the tray but I''l be measuring lockboxes everywhere in the meantime.

Got a quote today for a 320 windscreen $550-650 Aud and up to 10 weeks delivery. The windscreen guy is going to try and help me sort out a seal for it. But progress none the less. 

The 320 seal is generic, the same type seal is used for the 320 front window, rear window(both L and NL, they are different lengths), it is also used on the 520/521 rear windows, I know this because I have had a auto glass guy I know make them for me, he cuts them to length and glues them together.

I have never tried it, but I believe that the 521 rear window seal will work for the NL320 rear window, they are about the same size, like I said though, I have never tried it.

I don't have them made anymore, they were expensive to have made, and it took me a couple years to sell the ones I had made, so I don't want to deal with it anymore.

It costs $400.00 to $500.00 to have a single windshield cut over here unless you know someone, I don't know the exchange rate, but that price for a 320 windshield sounds normal to me, finding someone that wants to take the time to find the proper windshield to use to cut a 320 windshield out of it is the hard part, most don't want to cut curved glass.

• Like 2