cooked my number four piston in my nap z what are my options

Yealla510

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of getting stock pistons are do I have a options

Not very much to go on so the answer is yes.

Cooked... what does this mean? Low compression? could be many things. Tight valve, burnt valve, blown head gasket.

Is the engine apart? and you can see the piston in your hand? Is it broken or just a hunch?.....

No...... it's together I'm guessing.

Yes.... is the cylinder scored and in need of a re-bore?.....

No..... you may be able to hone it and replace with stock piston and rings if the bore is also perfectly round, non tapered and does not have a lot of wear near the top of the ring travel.

Yes... badly scored and/or badly worn. Needs to be bored out to next over size and a new oversize piston and ring set installed.

• Like 1

If you "cooked" a piston, chances are the bore needs some work too. Overheating can cause the aluminum of the piston to grow and transfer to the cylinder wall. The rings can also scratch the bore. Honing a bore to clean up a mess like this is possible, but not with a ball hone. Usually a power hone is the only way to clean up a badly scorched bore and if it's really bad, it may need to be bored over size.

As for replacing the pistons, if it's a custom engine, you need to know the bore, pin height, deck height, whether the pin is press fit or held in with a clip, ring pack and dish before you can determine what your options are. If you know what the piston originally came out of that makes it a lot easier.

Have you tried a Nissan dealer or local machine shop?

• Like 1

yes is a 1982 nap z Z 2.2 . originally I was going to replace rings seals and bearings and disside I remove the the head last nite and seen the piston cooked

and is not good for my budget I might have to take my chances

Im removing the piston today and see if the bore wall are not fuck up . if it is I need to find a another block  but if I was going st

Never too old....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

A picture allows things to be seen that you may have missed. If the piston is in the bore and it's 'cooked' there must be something obvious and damage on the top. Is there a hole in it? (detonation) A chunk missing on the side above the top ring? (over heating) Pits and marks in the aluminum? (foreign object)

• Like 1

cant im old school image it

This is what frustrates me about forums. I can't tell if this answer means  - I don't want to - or -  I don't have time - or - I really don't know how

I don't think this guy wants the help he asked for. Sorry, but that's how this comes off. If he wants the help, then earn it.

Sorry, haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.

• Like 3