720 to Toyota 5-lug axle conversion

RedSquare

I can't find much information on this, so I'm asking here. For everyone who has done the rear 5-lug conversion, is there a direct Toyota axle swap that doesn't involve moving spring perches?

Not certain of my Toyota rear axle's year, but the spring perches are about half an inch too outboard.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood going to 5 lug. There are plenty of good looking 6 lug rims out there. Six bolt Chev, Ford, Trooper, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, 3-4 others all fit and then there's the later Nissan trucks and all these have factory mags.

Took me less than a minute searching.... http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12628

Why 5-lug?

1. Because Regamasters don't come in 6-lug

2. I have half a dozen other set of wheels in 5x114.3 that I want swap between.

3. Most 6-lug wheels look like ass, with a few exceptions.

Also, I saw that post on Infamous and the op didn't go into detail on the Toyota rear end swap and in the end, he didn't use a Toyota rear.

1. Get some 2.5" x .5" steel flatbar

2. Cut into two 5" lengths, or 4" if you want it tighter to the Toyota spring pad

3. Find center and drill a hole for the leaf spring pin (.5" iirc)

4. Set them on the leaf packs

5. Set the axle on them making sure to center and square the axle to the truck

5. Weld axle spring pads to flatbar creating new offset correction spacers

6. Done and an added bonus of .5" lower

I'm in the middle of doing this on a D21.

Just drill out the rear for 5 bolt. Hammer in new studs.

It's a truck... don't make it into a girly car. :lol:

Yeah, thinking of just re-drilling the axle. Seems cheaper than trying to source another Toyota rear or buying the equipment to do what Rjawm said.

Oh my fuck, it takes real work, fabrication, and money to make parts fit when crossing manufacturers, who'd a thunk it.

There's no "easy button" to custom built vehicles. 

I mean you wouldn't even begin to believe the work I've put in to install slider shackles and upgrade the front perches to a higher mount OEM part, all in the name of a smooth riding really low static suspension truck. Not to mention the custom machining (Thanks again, mklotz) done to a set of Toyota front hubs to allow them to "bolt on" to the 2" drop spindle in front, lol.

20151004_121614_resized_zpsxinyycgy.jpg

Obviously I'm still working on the front gussets to the frame, but once done with that I'll be moving on to the exact process I described to install a Toyota axle under the same truck.

I guess there really is a reason I don't usually bother to answer these type of posts, and I'm going back to that. 

If I had the skill and equipment to do as you said, I would have done it already. I'm coming from a tuning world where all of our options are available in the aftermarket or by combining junkyard parts. Your post is sure to help someone though.

In the end, I have no desire modify my truck that far from stock. I just want a clean ass 720, some nice jdm wheels and a nice sound system.

I'm not a mini trucker, I just have a 720.

Have you checked out the jdm truck rims thread? You might find your opinion of 6 lug rims has room to change.

If you can't weld then you will have pay to play. Moving leaf spring plates isn't terribly difficult if you're careful, but will cost a fair amount to have a shop do. Sadly there is no direct bolt in option for what you're looking for.

Fronts can be purchased from mklotz, a member on here.

• Like 1

Preciate it, but yeah, I'm actually in the JDM wheels thread. You definitely get cool points for finding cool 6-lug JDM, but i'm trying to make the best of some of the spare wheels i have in 5-lug (R32 GTR, Gramlights, Works, Regamaster, etc....).Also, i kinda got burned by shipping costs through Yahoo Auctions JP and the broker i used, but its whatever now.

These cost me more in shipping than the actual auction.

(DSCN2945.jpg

Also, I already have a set of fronts from Bluehandsvideo (i forget his handle on Infamous)

Whatever option I wind up taking, I'm not staying 6-lug.

• 2 weeks later...