Penz810Wagon

1978 Datsun 810 Wagon

This was a great find. An elderly individual's family was liquidating assets to pay for the person's health care expenses. The Datsun was parked in the backyard. Other than the paint, the car is in excellent condition. Interior all original. Only had 92k miles. After a new battery, oil change, replaced altenator and fuel line car runs great. Air conditioner not working, on the fence about r12 to r134 conversion.

Cool story.... but some pictures would also be nice.

Aww man that is sweet. Round eye and wood panel! Score for sure!

Member joins Oct 03 '15 last active 05 '15. Necro post.

Member joins Oct 03 '15 last active 05 '15. Necro post.

"Weird"

This was one of my favorite L engines, it had a SSS closed chamber head with the kidney shape chambers and was already set up for unleaded with silicone/bronze valve guides and steel valve seats. We would plunk on an early L28 block with the dished pistons and get an instant 10:1 compression ratio for the 240z”s which would wake-up old SU’s and make them feel young again .

U-87?

It's an early head ID for the 810. Part way through the '80 model year it changed for a W-07? and continued into the later Maxima.

Could be. My unverified data shows Oct '79 the head changed to W-07 from U-87.

N-47 was a 280zx head so using on a smaller displacement L24 would lower the compression I would think

Could be. My unverified data shows Oct '79 the head changed to W-07 from U-87.

N-47 was a 280zx head so using on a smaller displacement L24 would lower the compression I would think

I'm speaking of the inline six 810 not the short nose 4 cylinder which we never got in the states. They only had a L24E with a N47 head from 1977-1980.

I know of both. The SSS 810 was a 910 in some parts of Europe (maybe elsewhere) and had a shorter front end for the L18 SSS engine with twin SU's and long dogleg. Presumably it was the same L18 SSS used in the original JDM Bluebird.  All we got were the L24 engines.

I know of both. The SSS 810 was a 910 in some parts of Europe (maybe elsewhere) and had a shorter front end for the L18 SSS engine with twin SU's and long dogleg. Presumably it was the same L18 SSS used in the original JDM Bluebird.  All we got were the L24 engines.

810 even other countries stayed 810 some countries called them Datsun 180B or 200B even Bluebird. The 910 was a different body style aka like our Maximas squarish body. The 810 had a more round body.

Yes, said it wrong the 810 became 910. Our Maxima says 910 on the engine tag.

That is why we called them Gluteus Maxims