Well I guess I have a 521 project now...

North of Seattle.

Which ever of you decide to come get this...a little bit of work may be needed to get what you need.

Z22 block and guts. Whole L20B with 71B 4 speed. Z22 is ready to be picked up. L20B is in a 620 still.

There is not a picker there. But I've removed an L20B from a 620 out the bottom.

We'll consider it an Xmas gift from hobospider, uberkevin, and myself.

We're extending this to the 2 of you only at this point.

You saying all I have to do is get my ass up there or we're getting a good deal for Xmas? Either way I'm all over that!! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in that case I'll try to figure out a time to head that direction. I'll hit yall up if I figure it out to make sure your still have it all.

Dav

Thanks man! Unfortunately the doors do have a bunch of holes for mirrors lol. There are mounting holes for two sets of door mirrors and one for fender mirrors

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I talked with the guy about it, I wanted the block, but he would not let me take the head off to see if there were any cracks between the head bolts and the water jacket, I would have used my own head on it.

I built an LZ23 out of a napZE 2.2 block, to this day I kinda wonder if it was a long rod crank, as mine has a shit load of torque, yet it don't like to rev above 4500rpms, going from my L20b to that LZ23 was a dramatic change.

yeah

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm just hoping it's good. If its cracked then I have the rest of the parts and only have to source a block. I bought this mostly because it's the quickest way for me to get all the necessary parts without taking apart an L20b for the timing stuff, a Z22 for the bottom end, and my L16 for it's accessories. This way I can build the LZ while the L16 is in my truck and swap them when its ready. 

Engine gets here in a few hours!

• Like 1

I have used a block with slight cracks in the middle bolt, but I will not do it again, I will start with good from the start.

Yeah, I'm just hoping it's good. If its cracked then I have the rest of the parts and only have to source a block. I bought this mostly because it's the quickest way for me to get all the necessary parts without taking apart an L20b for the timing stuff, a Z22 for the bottom end, and my L16 for it's accessories. This way I can build the LZ while the L16 is in my truck and swap them when its ready. 

Engine gets here in a few hours!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

finally got a chance to tear apart the engine and get a sitrep on it. A spun bearing definitely took place, 2 of the rod bearings were gone entirely, the rest of the rod and main bearings were shot form so much metal being run through them. Block is good, reasonably low wear. Crank is okay, will need to be ground, should work fine though. Rods and pistons are likely tossed. They got very hot, rods are discolored and the wristpins are seized. 

What appears to have happened is the bottom end and the head were bolted together without going through the bottom end very well if at all. It seems the bearing clearances were either too small, the rod and main caps were too tight. Based on how clean the cylinders and pistons are it seems like there weren't many miles on this engine post build. I'd almost guess the bearings spun on break in...

The hardest part to find will be the Z22/L20b rods, so if anyone knows where a set is at or sees a set for sale please let me know. I need the 145.9 mm or 7.44 in rods.

PICS!

DSC_0898_zpsogvjve58.jpg

DSC_0901_zpsukaa4gcu.jpg

DSC_0911_zps0joxenaa.jpg

DSC_0909_zpsa8in2rbx.jpg

DSC_0908_zpsoagdx5xg.jpg

DSC_0913_zpsnz7zgkar.jpg

DSC_0919_zpselz2r1jp.jpg

DSC_0923_zpshwje8brk.jpg

DSC_0924_zpsir0qj9nt.jpg

DSC_0928_zpsmqyvix2c.jpg

DSC_0914_zpsuksaqgl4.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

As promised: WIDE LOAD!

20160809_143929_zpsgs6psh5k.jpg

20160809_143910_zpsbb4gt6os.jpg

20160809_143942_zps12ugeqgl.jpg

I gotta clean them up and straighten the lips, should be a fun project. Then I gotta decide to either commit to flares or sell these. But for now at least I'm thinking flares and run em, but I got time to think about it while I refurbish these.

• Like 2

not running them without flares, they're waaay too wide to get away with that. As for stretch I may be forced into it a little to keep the overall tire diameter reasonable but I'm not putting 195's on them lol.

That's the main reason I may not keep them. I found them cheap and wanted to try my hand at restoring some wheels. They were cheap enough I can sell them later without taking a hit if I decide against them.

• Like 2

No update too small! Pulled the pistons off the connecting rods yesterday.

20160815_153148_zpsfouvgbg8.jpg

20160815_154512_zpsljmchgws.jpg

20160815_160313_zpstmu5qm8s.jpg

The garage is getting a little cramped these days. The MINI has rod knock so I have to rebuild that too now. LZ got put in boxes (left corner) to free up bench space lol

20160811_160911_zpsxb6ctmi0.jpg

• Like 2