240SX at PIR

Was at Portland International Raceway this weekend and saw this GT2 race car bodied as 240SX.

It ran really strong and was struggling for traction when the power came on. Thought for sure it was a turbo car and was shocked to see an NA VG.

IMG_20150905_161425275_HDR_zpsvr2cwkue.j

IMG_20150905_161332208_zpsmwicjla4.jpg

IMG_20150905_161346326_zpsdxojhiy5.jpg

One 510 there

IMG_20150905_132529965_HDR_zpswfgjvnkj.j

This guy was the sleeper of the event. They had different classes of engine sizes on the track at the same time and the v8's and 911's couldn't shake him. It had a great sound that was like no four cylinder I have ever heard.

IMG_20150905_155326156_HDR_zpsndodsqkr.j

IMG_20150905_155333054_HDR_zpsmpegazzm.j

• Like 3
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the internets, Volvo only started producing dual cams in 1989, and they are heavily slanted to the passenger side and look nothing like that engine. I'm also curious about the engine, but no luck so far

Edit:

More info: sold by dealers in the 80s, the engine is known as the Rallycross 16v. Custom head never installed from the factory on their B style engine.

http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7691

• Like 1

That's funny, talked to the owner and he said it was a rare rally engine that had never been used in production cars and that this one had been sitting in a Volvo executives garage in a crate for years. The way he told the story it was like he was talking about finding a unicorn. I thought it was just his way of BSing me rather and admitting it was a newer engine than his class rules. Vintage racing numbers are declining and they tend to look the other way sometimes just to fill the events.

• Like 2

This is the other thread from the same time period as the one I posted above. It tells essentially the same story about this engine that was told to you DaBlist. I wonder if it is actually the same motor?

http://volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7691&start=15

This is the other thread from the same time period as the one I posted above. It tells essentially the same story about this engine that was told to you DaBlist. I wonder if it is actually the same motor?

http://volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7691&start=15

Very possible. He said his was a 2.3 liter