Phantom Grip 2 way LSD

HRH

So I did do a search and nothing came up.

Been seeing the Phantom Grip 2 way LSDs on ebay for $250. Has anyone used these in their 510 diffs? Success? Crappy/clanky/noisy? I need an alternative to a logger locker (currently in car) and a Subi diff (can't find them, when I do they're too expensive.)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom slip? Phoney grip? Don't waste your money. A suby LSD ended yesterday with no bids at $300 - I think just because the ad was poorly written, incorrect, and somewhat confusing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-z-SUBARU-R160-LSD-REAR-END-3-70_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34202QQihZ002QQitemZ120311750860QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Okay, but do any of you have any personal experience with a Phantom Grip 2 way LSD unit? I'm looking for those who have used them, or seen them break.

I realize $300 is not that much for a diff, but getting an old subi diff, I'm going to have to have it rebuilt, which will then escalate it into the $500 or more range. And if I were to have an option for a brand new 2 way for less money, and new, I'm thinking that would be better. (Edit, looks like the site says $299, but I think on ebay they were at $250.)

This is the link for the unit in question:

http://www.phantomgrip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=45

The Phantom grip uses a spring set to pre load the side gears against their thrust washers so tightly that they are forced to grip the housing and turn it together, metal on metal. This is not at all what they are designed to do. Any real LSD uses separate discs and clutches designed for this.

And that was what my machinist mentioned, he was worried about longevity, but some people he knew had used them and liked them quite a bit.

The other thought is a similar cable or air locking unit, I was almost thinking out of a Suzuki Samurai. Have no idea if that's plausible, and probably not cost effective, but a thought.

Hey Mike, I see you have two 82 200sx parts cars. By any chance, would you be willing to sell the manifold/wiring harness/ecu? Or did you already grab them for efi on your L motors?

Edited by HRH

Just in general. Everything going into the rally car is going to be new or rebuilt. Want to start with lasting parts, not have some stupid part break on stage because the stupid owner (me) didn't change something out. Trees notwithstanding.

Hey Mike, I see you have two 82 200sx parts cars. By any chance, would you be willing to sell the manifold/wiring harness/ecu? Or did you already grab them for efi on your L motors?

Of the two complete sets I only need one of the manifolds and none of the wiring. If you are building it for an L you won't want the manifold either, just the harness and ECU plus a throttle body and the air meter. Check out what you need from these two great articles:

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_efi.html

http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=99

from what ive actually seen, the phoney grip usually dies after abuse. they wear the side gears sooo hard it doesnt allow them to transfer energy. they work when they are new, but if you are rallying, then id say go with something real. it basically chews the gears down, then throws metal into the gears and locks them solid, causing you to spin at whatever speed your going.

Yeah, I suppose I'll just have to pony up the dough. Sad thing is I can get an LSD for $50 in the local PNS, but every time I find or hear of one, they're already gone. Don't have the time to devote to searching the yards anymore, unfortunately.

Mike, you have PM.