over reaction or worried for nothing?

yellow510

Geeeez mike. Didn't you get bent outta shape over Napa charging to much for shipping on a part? What if you had paid up front for that and you were still waiting? Wouldn't you be upset? Money is money and time is money Guy has been waiting over two months and has not blown up about it. He brought it up to the community for some help and you are belittling him. Smooth move

• Like 7
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an idea...If you don'know which company is doing the shipping.The town the seller lives in has a chamber of commerce,they will give you a list of shipping vendors for his town.In his name the vendors can give no information,but as the person [your name] recieving goods,they are required to inform you that an item has or has not been sent to you.This will require searching for a local fed/x ups or from the chambers list.And producing your I.d is needed to validate who you are. Most shippers have an office locally to you. If no record of shipping,that for me would be enough to get my money back any way possible. And the deal could be done at a later date if you guys still wanted to do bussiness.

No one was belittled. What I asked was...how much are we still talking about here? Still no answer. Is it enough to get bent about or is it the delay in getting the engine holding something up?  Agreed money is money but is it really enough of an amount to be concerned about? No amount has been specified. And besides it's not stolen or lost it's just temporarily unavailable like money in a RRSP. It would be more of a problem if this is holding up a project completion. 

NAPA quoted me $12 and change plus a shipping fee. (unspecified and I assumed a few dollars each) When the parts came in a week later it was over $28 dollars. Told them they could keep them, I wasn't paying $14 more than what the parts were worth in shipping. If they had told be $28 right off I would have walked out. All it cost me was a wasted trip there. Ordered them elsewhere the next day, they were in the following morning (17 hours later) and for $10 and change with tax. , I'm in no hurry and stiil have them.

• Like 1

No one was belittled. What I asked was...how much are we still talking about here? Still no answer. Is it enough to get bent about or is it the delay in getting the engine holding something up?  Agreed money is money but is it really enough of an amount to be concerned about? No amount has been specified. And besides it's not stolen or lost it's just temporarily unavailable like money in a RRSP. It would be more of a problem if this is holding up a project completion. 

NAPA quoted me $12 and change plus a shipping fee. (unspecified and I assumed a few dollars each) When the parts came in a week later it was over $28 dollars. Told them they could keep them, I wasn't paying $14 more than what the parts were worth in shipping. If they had told be $28 right off I would have walked out. All it cost me was a wasted trip there. Ordered them elsewhere the next day, they were in the following morning (17 hours later) and for $10 and change with tax. , I'm in no hurry and stiil have them.

Geeeeez how much money we talking aboot? Is it going to cause a default on your house loan? put you in the poor house? kids not go to collage? no vacation this year? 

No one was belittled? What the hell do you call that then? You got your feathers ruffled for less than $20, enough to make a FML thread about it, but someone who has invested almost certainly hundreds of dollars shouldn't be bitching? The OP has a legitimate complaint, period.

• Like 4

No one was belittled? What the hell do you call that then? You got your feathers ruffled for less than $20, enough to make a FML thread about it, but someone who has invested almost certainly hundreds of dollars shouldn't be bitching? The OP has a legitimate complaint, period.

its different tho,not his money

• Like 1

There was no dollar value mentioned, and why I posted. Even you are ruffled over and assumed amount. Some facts would maybe help here.

I don't think the NAPA thing counts for much in this. I didn't pay anything in advance or at all. The shock was that shipping was more than the part and they thought I would be ok with that?

There was no dollar value mentioned, and why I posted. Even you are ruffled over and assumed amount. Some facts would maybe help here.

I don't think the NAPA thing counts for much in this. I didn't pay anything in advance or at all. The shock was that shipping was more than the part and they thought I would be ok with that?

So are saying the ratsun police would only intervene if the dollar amount is high enough?

And the Napa thing does count. As was pointed out, you started a fml thread about it. Around 20 bucks of fuckery on their part. Odds are a motor shipped is quite a bit more. You trivialized this gentlemans thread for help.

• Like 2

Ratsun police? Intervene?

Look again. There's no dollar value mentioned except your input guesstimate. The title is 'overreaction or worried for nothing'.  Asked "Geeeeez how much money we talking aboot?" which is more than anyone else had done. Opined that illness might be a reason (it was) and twice assured the OP that this will work out. Hardly have I trivialized his problem. Are you saying you seriously believe Al will default on this???

Some people are just slow to get in gear, lazy if you will and find it 'hard to get around to. They make promises that they mean to keep but... it just slips and keeps slipping. Maybe they are ill but like I already said they can at least communicate with the buyer.... after all you did take their money. Lets say you mention 'his' name. His friends vouch for him. He now has to live up to his friends good opinion of him. Peer pressure also known as shaming.

Now I'm confident this will work out.

Again.... convinced this will work out alright.

Geeeeez how much money we talking aboot? Is it going to cause a default on your house loan? put you in the poor house? kids not go to collage? no vacation this year? and please don't say it's the principal that matters here. I doubt it's really the money but most likely a delay in getting the engine and transmission into something, right?

You want posts that trivialize try these....

And if it doesn't work out, the rest of us are still entertained.

Bro.. I said it's on the way. I shipped via Malaysian air.

Phishy

Here is your only witch hunt contribution to all of this...

My suggestion is to call him out by name. If it's who I think it is, this wouldn't be his first time and it seems that putting his name out there is the only way to get him to respond. Even then it takes some time, which really sucks. But he'll come around in the end, say he's sorry, yada, yada, yada and all will be forgiven by the majority because he's such a great guy.

...so was it who you thought it was? ....Didn't think so. I guess you have an axe to grind with some member here then?

So what's the status on this?

Well as i see it,,, if he needs someone to babysit his kids he has gotten lots of great references ,,, if he wants his money,,, not so much.

For what it's worth when i had heart surgery i spent 3 days in the hosptal.. :geek: .  But i believe the technology must have been better back then. 

He is trustworthy and you will get the engine or your money back. Just sucks that you had to wait so long and not be working on your project.

And it shouldn't matter if it is $10 or $10,000.

The seller took the buyer's money and has not delivered in over 2 months. The buyer has a right to question it. Whatever the excuse of the seller.

• Like 5

as for the amount... i dont think that's really the point here.

my concern was whether the guy i bought it from was trust worthy enough to continue bugging him or to show up at his doorstep demanding my money back.

He is trustworthy and you will get the engine or your money back. Just sucks that you had to wait so long and not be working on your project.

And it shouldn't matter if it is $10 or $10,000.

The seller took the buyer's money and has not delivered in over 2 months. The buyer has a right to question it. Whatever the excuse of the seller.

Two good posts here.

Unfortunate circumstances but there will be a 'satisfactory' ending. .

You want posts that trivialize try these....

Here is your only witch hunt contribution to all of this...

...so was it who you thought it was? ....Didn't think so. I guess you have an axe to grind with some member here then?

You are right, it wasn't who I thought it was. Like everyone else, I was surprised to hear it was Al.

As far as a witch hunt or having an axe to grind, I just feel that sellers who don't follow through and do what they should (ship things out promptly, communicate, etc.) should be called out. This goes for newer members and well respected members alike. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to get a resolution sometimes is to put it out there. As you said in an earlier post, peer pressure/shaming is sometimes what it takes.

• Like 2

Agreed. I suggested alternative reasons for the delay just to slow down the pitchforks and torches a bit. These things have a tendency to snowball and things get said... Best thing is to follow through if selling or buying and avoid being mentioned in a post like this. Maintain contact if at all possible. Paying in advance, too far in advance, may not be wise. Might be better to pay closer to the shipping date during the hand off. Sometimes not possible. Checking the sellers past is also a good idea and $10 or $10,000 is and at the same time isn't the same. I can walk away from a $10 loss but would rather have the par than the money back.

i'm airing a grievance right now and not sure how to proceed:

i purchased an engine and trans from a respected senior member on the forums here. (I'll keep his name out for now out of respect for his rep here.)

the transaction occurred over a month ago. (around 6/22)

i (right now feeling stupidly) deposited the money to his account.

He claims to have put the engine and trans on a pallet and it was on its way.

I've repeatedly asked him for a pic or image of some sort of the shipping manifest so I can track it.

I've received excuses like: (paraphrased)

"I'm out of town on vacation.

"I'm out of town for my son's birthday."

"Work has been crazy busy."

"I gave the shipping company the wrong phone address/ph# for the receiving party."

I've texted him and called a few times over the last month and I want to believe him, but he has not given me much reason to believe him now.

I've asked for shipping info or my money back tonight.

I'm hoping I get a response soon because nothing has arrived as of today.

I'm frustrated beyond expletives right now.

Any suggestions?

Well I've been known to be busy /slow . But I have never failed to send a part . in fact I've sent many parts to members for free . That doesn't change the fact that I owe jeff an engine & trans . And when I return home today YELLOW510 will have his shipping info . 

The other side of the story .  the dates provided by jeff are incomplete, which effects his time line .  

jeff talked to me about a rebuildable engine for his 510 , he wanted a rebuildable long block L20 and a 4 spd trans .I offered him a L20 & peanut head + a 4 spd trans.  the motor smokes but could be ran as is for  .  $ 250.00  and 350.00 for shipping . 

The very first contact I ever had was a pm on july 9 th . we pm'd for weeks , when on 7/23 he paid me . I shipped the engine & trans on Monday the 7/27 . 

On the 18th of August I received a call from the shipping company explaining I had put some incorrect info on the bill of lading . Which again my error , YELLOW510 send me 2 different addresses . I managed to miss print the pallet . I called him  8/18 and explained the situation . 

On the 8/20 I informed YELLOW521 that I was working and I had not heard anything . This was the last time I heard from jeff , until I returned home from a camping trip that I had to prep and maintain 3 datsuns for the trip , and yeah my son did turn 18 , I did have to work , life has been crazy . 

But rest assured when I get home today I will have this resolved. 

sorry YELLOW510 , If I have delayed your project .

I'M SORRY !     AL 

• Like 4

Yes, Al and I spoke today.

He is going to get the shipping straightened out tomorrow morning and hopefully the engine+trans will be here by the end of the week.

I stand corrected. I typo'd and put 6/22 when it should have been 7/22. My apologies for that. However, I still believe that a month is quite a wait to receive something...

Al has repeatedly apologized for the delay to which I understand his circumstances and have accepted his apology.

In fact our conversations have all been very civil without any bad attitudes coming forth.

So, I would like to make abundantly clear that I dont condemn Al as a bad seller or person by any means.

My reason for posting was to determine if the person I had bought from was a good decision or a waste of money.

He seemingly had a good reputation here so I wanted to find out if and how my experiences compared with others... and perhaps someone here knows what his situation is personally.

On another note: delays to my project are minor when compared to someone's health. Above all, I value the welfare of others (and this community) before any project I'm working on.

• Like 5