15 ENKEI COMPE

Thanks Dfreak.

I also should have noted, when it comes to 510s, the wheel flex is somewhat dependent on wheel size. The 510 I had that rubbed was on 17s. The bigger the wheel, the more flex, and conversely the taller the tire sidewall the less it flexes the wheel and flexes the tire instead.

On 15s, you might be okay with an RCH.   ^_^

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOOH PRETTY. Plan A is to grind a bit, but if it comes to plan B, I'll likely grind some more. ;) This is gun metal black, so the plan is to powder coat them satin black to match the car. Also thinking of coatont the inner rim yellow to match the car, but that might be going too far.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-07%20at%2011.33.

In the front of my wagon I run a 15x7 +25mm wheel with a 205/50 tire. You need a spacer that's about 13mm (give or take 2mm either way depending on the level of roll/pull on your fenders and the coilovers you use).  This makes the "effective" offset of the wheel about +12-14.  Using 280ZX struts, I had to  grind down some of the lower  threads on the coilovers in order to clear just a tad more space for the tire bulge when hard cornering. 

If you're using stock 510 struts with coilovers on them you need an 1/4" spacer to make a 205 fit with the above wheel offset/width. Not sure about the rears, but my dad's two door runs a 15x7 +12mm Panasport with 205/50s. This is with a VERY subtle pulled flare job on the rear quarter panels. You need to be down looking across the body lines to really catch it. 

With all the work I've done to make the 205 fit up front it still rubs on the fender when I'm really mashing the car into a corner (only ever happens at autocrosses though). 

Got the wheels and test fitted the front. It's just contacting the control arm, so I think I'll get away with grinding off 3/16ths off the corner. Pretty sure the tire will clear the strut perch by an RCH. 

I use no spacers However if you use the bumpsteer spacers under the strut the tierod end will hit the inside of the rim. then you might need spacers.

Ichaba.com had some NICE 4mm spacers if this place still exist

also I have coil overs but had the perch welded in the sam spot so the top of the tire wond hit it. I used a 7 inch spring instead of the common 8 inch to get the front down enough

I do have bump steer spacers and yes the inside of the rim just makes contact with the tie rod. I figure it's nothing a grinder can't take care of though. As for the rubber contacting the strut, my perch is fixed and the lip closest to the tier is ground flat. I'm pretty sure it will clear. If push comes to shove I'll add a spacer, but I'll everything I can to avoid it. 

• 2 weeks later...

280ZX struts and 2.5 degrees of negative camber with a 195/50-15 (far from "stretched"). 

Rewind_510.jpg

It is really neither expensive, nor difficult. Just a bit of a compromise if you come from a "race car" mindset. 

Rear is same tire and rolled lips, no camber correction. 

I love the color, so damm bitchin'

• Like 1

OOOOH PRETTY. Plan A is to grind a bit, but if it comes to plan B, I'll likely grind some more. ;) This is gun metal black, so the plan is to powder coat them satin black to match the car. Also thinking of coatont the inner rim yellow to match the car, but that might be going too far.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-07%20at%2011.33.

Man those rims are hot!!!! Why put all the extra into the rim and take away the style it was given?

I like the softened edges on the modern Enkies. It suits my car well. I've shaved everything off the body of my car except the door handles, so it's got a very stripped down clean look.

Rims are being media blasted and powder coated semi gloss black.  should have them back Wednesday.

Got the wheels on the car today and they fit almost perfectly. SO damn glad I didn't go for the 12mm offset. I did use a 4mm spacer in front and I'll need to 2X4 flare the rear fenders another 1/4", but all in all it was a synch. Driving around the hood the back end feels much more crisp and positive now that the tires aren't pinched. 

enkie.jpg

• Like 7

I always chuckle to myself when I hear folks saying to use a 15x7 +0 wheel on a "stock" 510 because of what you need to do to pull it off.

To "fit" the 15x7 +0 you need to run a stretched 185 or narrower tire with excessive camber and rolled stock fenders.

From my background of building/driving racecars sacrificing handling for a "look" is counterintuitive. I strive for performance in my builds which means matching rim width to tire section width and using camber settings that optimize handling.

I wouldn't be satisfied driving a 510 that needed to compromise handling just to run on 15x7 +0 wheels. Others have different goals for their ride than I do and that is fine with me.

well call me counterintuitive cause i run 15x7 +0 with a small tire and love the look .... not a race car though..

09EE7909-8A3A-4FC9-BF40-567C275D6AA4_zps

• Like 1

I was surprised that i doesn't rub front or rear ... even turning it doesn't rub until nearly full lock ... nothing like my truck ......... jesus i have too 3 point turn right handers on the open road.... bu i am installing a lz and zx 5 sp with dual 44 so kinda race car but i am the king of short shifting rigs

• Like 1