My '83 280ZX (no name yet)

ZackTheImpaler

Ok first things first, I'm in Michigan not the NW anymore. There is no showing up to a guys farm and buying him out of $500 Datsuns growing in the weeds.

Seeing a 280 whether Z or ZX is a big deal out here, so I just had to buy it regardless of it's condition with it's $1500 price tag.

Lasted 3 hours before the rear axle and frame rails gave out dropping me to the ground and on my wheels at 55mph, luckily it was while I was on my way to the body shop so I just needed to get a flat bed to tow me the rest of the way.

I have no OICs except for the one of it getting loaded on the bed, and I won't see it for awhile as it's now getting half a restoration. Absolutely NOONE out here touches Datsuns of any sort or year so the one shop even was leary. When we showed up and they looked as far under the car as they could I think they may have been under the impression I wasn't aware of how much work it would be as they pointed out I wasn't restoring the body or interior and there was slight rust.

I said 'I'm ratting it"

I get a raised eyebrow and they asked what I meant by that. When I said "sand the paint of, let it flash rust, clear coat it, fat rear tires, shitty carbs, and no interior" they smile and said "get this thing in the shop"

Someone removed the EFI and put carbs on it already, I think from the 260z as I don't remember them being flat tops but I only saw them for a minute.

Anyway I'm going to need alot of direction as always but here are some photos. My old lady posing with it before and then 3 hours later when the tow guy was laughing as he couldn't figure out why I was documenting that this car lasted me 3 hours before it crumbled, making it the 2nd longest lasting vintage import I've bought!!!

Look at that rear though, couldn't get moar lower if I tried

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Zacktheimpaler/media/11215528_1047973955215272_3460436626218971064_n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/Zacktheimpaler/media/20150810_164720.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I do still have the 720! She's down right now but almost back to life. Ended up snapping a cam, burned everything, and had 3/4" of slack on the timing chain and still drove for 6 months before it died.

Just recently had the head rebuilt and ported and now I need to drag it 3 hours to the only guy in my state who will work on it! 

I am actually heading to oregon by next month to pick up parts and my PL411 

• Like 1

Yup Mike.

I don't want to tell you how much I've spent on it already but the $1500 was a cute start.

Already ordered the frame rails and floor and am trying to get a trip setup to Oregon asap and pick up the rest in person as well as my PL411 and as many parts for all of these as I can.

I know better! However my options out here are only fully restored or do a full restoration. I have seen about 4 or 5 clean Z's out here in the lower $10,000 range but I'd hate to do what I want to do with a nice Z.

Welcome to Michigan. Ive lived hear for almost 20 years and have only seen 3 70's Z's. Two of them were mine. I see a zx here and there but not often. The prices on craigslist shot up last summer. Dunno what happened but they are waayyy to damn high. Like  $8000 2+2's, crazy....

I am suprised you even found anyone to work on your car. Nobody will touch mine, which isnt a big deal i guess...just gotta not be so lazy.

Anyways, love the color and the wheels.

Im born and raised here but never saw a Datsun growing up.

The only mechanic is the Datsun Doctor in Waterford. The body shop us in Grand Rapids and called Brockers. The owner and his sons have Zs so they are friendly about them.

So much hate from every mechanic and garage it's mind blowing. I've never been called names or been yelled at for wanting these cars until I moved back.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it was a strut bolt falling out that caused my rear end failure.

Frame rails and floor supports heading in from Zedd right now.

I'm leaving for seattle in a few days then driving down to southern oregon to get my PL411 and while I am there will be picking up some new body parts for the zx.

• 8 months later...

Yup been a minute since Ive updated.

Had the wntire bottom half restored on a rotisserie and all. So with the only shop willing to touch a unibody doing the work it took 6 months and $7000 getting every spot of rust from the wheel wells,battery tray, spare tire cokpartment, complete floor and rails, the works. Rust free te POR 15 but no lube on the ass fuck I receieved.

Lasted 2 weeks before I fried the clutch, found the 1 guy willing to change it, then 2 weeks later oil is pouring out of a spark plug and the list went on.

Sooooooo I bought a crate performance SBC 350 HO and Tremec T56. 333hp with 381ft-lb should spruce it up.

Carbed because I love that shit

so far with clutch kit,mounts, engince, tranny, etc, Im $10,500 in collected parts.

Motor mounts ordered from Jags that run and the rest from summit.

The shop doing the swap for me is Strictly performance in Kalamazoo, Mi.

No time or guidance, I own a bunch of businesses.

When I lived on the west coast it was easier to get hands on learning but now I have 12-14 hour work days 7 days a week.

I do what I can but ultimately would like to be driving (I have 3 non runnin dattos) these cars than just looking at them anymore.

• 5 weeks later...