Federal SS-595 tires?

Hey folks, just bought some 14x6 and 14x6.5 Devil Japan rims I need rubber for. Seems like 185/55 r14 is a sweet size for our Datsuns but choices are limited. I can get 4 Yokohama S-drives for $400 shipped, or for about $230 shipped I can get 4 Federal SS-595.

Quite a price savings, and though I like the looks of the Federals, I've read mixed reviews. Some say they stink in rain and snow, others say they are fine. But I would rarely drive my Datsun in the rain and it gets put up for the winter at the first snowflake.

Other than that folks say they are loud due to the stiff sidewalls.

Do any of you have experience with these particular tires or how they compare to others?

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=56416108.135.25488&Breite=185&Quer=55&Felge=14&Speed=&LoadRange=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=F-C-74-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-125115

Profil_ss595_WM.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are drawn to the 595 because of their sporty looking tread. Matt Farah said that for the price, you get a pretty decent, more performance oriented tire. There's more tread on the Federals compared to something like Toyo R888, so there'll be less slip on wet surfaces. You'd probably be fine driving on wet surface. Can't go wrong with Yokohamas either...

I hate unidirectional tires they seem to always sound like a wheel bearing going out. The whole bad in rain thing is probably ragged edge type driving,  not normal mellow cruising around trying to impress the fat college girls in short skirts on a nice day type driving :sleep:

I like Federal tires, they seem to be pretty good quailty,, at least the ones i have used.. 

205/60R13 Federal 595's can still be bought, you just need to buy them from a Legends Car dealer. They are the spec tire for that racing series.

I was looking at their Formoza series. I later found out that the Formoza was discontinued for over a year and any stock available had been sitting. This was a year ago.

I was looking at their Formoza series. I later found out that the Formoza was discontinued for over a year and any stock available had been sitting. This was a year ago.

Yeah, I bought a set of Formoza FD-1s for my 1200, then they discontinued them a few months after I did. And now I'm kinda used to this size and no one else seems to offer it...   :rofl:

Yeah, I bought a set of Formoza FD-1s for my 1200, then they discontinued them a few months after I did. And now I'm kinda used to this size and no one else seems to offer it...   :rofl:

I think there's enough demand for wide 13" street tires that would make it worth while for a few companies to manufacture. Nankang and Federal are the only ones that have recently (now unavailable) made them. $600 for a set of R compound tires is a lot of you're going to eat them up after 5000 street miles.

• 11 months later...