The Portuguese Datsun 1200

Hello guys!

My name is Rafael and I'm from the other end of the atlantic, from Portugal.

The old school Datsun's are very popular over here, specially the 1200's,  because back in the day they were the small RWD fun cars and competitors with the Corolla KE20, every one had one of these two... And we had a race called Datsun Trophy, with almost 50 two door sedans racing thru tight courses! It was very fun to watch!  :rofl:

Well, let's get to why I'm here! I own a red 73' Datsun 1200 project car, it's my baby  :thumbup:

Everyone here seem to love fully original classic cars, maybe it's because car modifications are illegal in my country :crying:   :sleep:   :sneaky:  If you have your car lowered or an engine swap or bigger wheels  in your car, will immediately fail the annual inspection, but some get away with it.  :devil:

But I... I love old school modified cars!

I have mine 1200 for a year now and I don't really wanna keep it stock, I want someting low with a old school JDM vibe!

I want it to look good standing in a meet and I wan't to be able to drift the sh*it out of it!

Let's get to the pictures!

When I bought it:

IMG_0434_zpsdf13d02b.png

Now:

IMG_6622_zpsg6nlwdea.png

IMG_6669_zpsxxfznkwy.jpg

My inspiration for this project is japonese 1200: (the only things I wan't to do different is the color, keepin' the red of course, and I want the coupé grill)

001_zpsedmxyqg9.jpg

I have HUGE list of future thing to do:

- new set of 13'' wheels (watanabe; work equip...), 

- add a little bit of camber to the front wheels and strech the 4 tires (I just want it to look like the pictures above)

- lower it more with coilovers

- Nardi steering wheel

- maybe another front-lip

- coupé front grill

- some small details on the inside

- tune the original engine or swap to a tuned A14 or a tuned A15

- fully restore it (top to bottom)

And the list goes on and on........................

I hope you like my car and my future plans with it.

See you soon!

• Like 7
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely like! Welcome to Ratsun Rafael. I believe we have another member from Portugal with a green 510?

I guess the thing to do is modify but keep it so you can put it back original for the inspection

• Like 3

I really like the red with black wheels. You have a Sedan grille and want a Coupe grille. I have several Coupe grilles and want a Sedan grille. Perhaps we can work out a trade. If you have a 1200 you will get accustomed to international shipping. PM me if you are interested.

DSCN1894_zps336832ce.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome messages guys, I'm very happy you dig my 1200.

Thanks for the offer KiloTango1200, but I already bought the Coupe grille, just waiting to be painted and installed.

On the other hand, I wanna keep my sedan grille for the future, I might change it to the original grille some day, swapping them to have a new look every once and a while!

I'll post some new pics soon with the new grille, stay tuned  :thumbup: 

• Like 1

Make sure you use an adhesion promoter before you paint your Coupe grille. I don't know what release agent Datsun used, but paint doesn't like it. I used Krylon Fusion plastic paint and it still came out with a rough texture even after a thorough prep job. Not sure what you can get locally, but there is always Ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

Thumbs up for my new grill! Loving the look it gave to the car, the black brings out the color of the rims and the grey brings the chromes out.

In my opinion it looks way better than the sedan grill.

_mg_0652_zps7dfddzz2.jpg

_mg_0314_zps6kyvnket.jpg

What do you guys think?

Next up, crucial mods i really wanna do:

- 13'x7' Watanabe wheels

- Coilovers

- Nardi wheel

- Grill emblem

• Like 4

Thumbs up for my new grill! Loving the look it gave to the car, the black brings out the color of the rims and the grey brings the chromes out.

In my opinion it looks way better than the sedan grill.

Sedan grill looks good if you black out the grey bits and ditch the center emblem. 

20150619_185340s.jpg

Next up, crucial mods i really wanna do:

- Grill emblem

I have one of the vertical Sunny badges if you want it?