1200 trans swap

Duncan

Does anyone know the definitive answer on swapping a 60 Series 5 speed on a 1200? I know most people put it in with an A14 or A15, but I plan on keeping my A12.

I have the trans at the shop currently getting new synchros and bearings, so I can't look at it now.

Will the driveshaft work? Does it need shortening?

I plan on using the longer throwout bearing sleeve/holder from an A14/15 and the matching throwout bearing. I also have a clutch fork from a 210 in case that is a different size. (It was cheap and figure I'd buy it just in case)

I will also assume the existing clutch assembly will work okay. I know the 63 series has different splines so you need to go to a different pressure plate.

Any sage advice appreciated, otherwise I will "hit and miss" it until it works. I will also take photos as I get this done. It would be nice to get the swap documented.

I plan on starting this soon after JCCS.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out datsun1200.com. There is a ton of info in the tech section. I put a 63 series behind my 1200 and it bolted to the original motor/clutch. The mount had to be fabricated and the output yoke was different. My understanding about the 60 series is that they bolt up to the motor/clutch. You will have to fab a mount but I believe the yoke on the 1200 driveline will work. Like I said, check datsun1200.com. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan,

This is a couple weeks late but maybe I can still help.

The original transmission for the 1200 is a 56 series. The 5 speed from the 210 is a 60 series. These will swap, no clutch change and no driveshaft change.

The transmission mount will need to be fabricated, the mount on the 5 speed is further toward the rear.

I did the swap in my 1200 racecar, so I have no personal experience with the stock clutch or speedo drive but I believe these will swap will no trouble.

Driven,

You said you did a 63A (B210 GX, dogleg 5 speed) into a 1200.

Did you need to modify the transmission tunnel? I've heard the 1200 tunnel is too small for the 63A transmission and needs to be modified. I also heard the 1200 with an automatic had a larger transmission tunnel and the 63A will fit without modification. Was your's an automatic?

Edited by Dime Dave
typos
Duncan,

This is a couple weeks late but maybe I can still help.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I did the swap in my 1200 racecar, so I have no personal experience with the stock clutch or speedo drive but I believe these will swap will no trouble.

A friend of mine from No Cal just did this swap (60 Series 5 spd into a stock 1200 w/A12) and he says that the clutch is okay, but it didn't engage all the way. I have heard it said that you need the '79-later 210 throwout bearing sleeve which is a bit longer. He says he ordered one, but didn't get the right part. What he did was to put a 4mm washer under the pivot point the clutch fork rides on, and it worked for him.

Seeing that I just purchased a new (to me) 1200 with a 5-spd in it, I won't be doing this swap as I am planning to sell my coupe. (At least for now, anyway)

Thanks for the info nonetheless. There is a lot of conflicting info on this swap, and I like to just do it once if possible.

The 60 swap is easy. Same clutch and driveshaft. Just need:

1. a flat plate to make the mount adapter

2. remove and plug the reverse light switch

3. You can use the same fork and throwout bearing. Just use the stock 1200 flywheel, clutch, etc. as a matched set.

Here is one type of mount adapter:

1703.jpg

More pics and details

Edited by ggzilla