Draw through junkyard turbo installed and running under $100

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today my neighbor came over and sold me a 1983 Datsun 720 4x4 5 speed xtra cab for $500.  That makes 4 720 pickup's in my stables.  Needs maintenance and a battery.  Brand new tires worth what I paid for the whole truck.  Having a hot rod Datsun parked out front has it's perks.

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/busguy61/slideshow/720

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.5754photobucket.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

holy god this is the most intresting turbo set up ive ever seen.

I saw in a episode of motor trends road kill that you can run boost from the turbo through the carb. you have it vise versa, and the host talked about the air temperture dropping dramaticly as it went through the carb.

Dont know if you considered or tried that.

Shit is awesome as hell

• Like 1

The air temp will drop but that's from the heat removed by the evaporation of the gas dumped in. All gas engines will do this.

As the air heats up above ambient from compression by the turbo it can be run through a radiator or inter cooler and some of this heat shed. This 'rad' can be air cooled and even have an electric fan to increase the heat transfer or it can be immersed in water which will absorb and store more heat than air. Even ice water could be used for a dramatic drop in temperature. This would only be practical for boosting numbers on a dyno  The lower the air temperature the denser it is and the more will be packed into the combustion chamber safely without risk of detonation. You can also run a water/alcohol spray to further cool by evaporation in addition to the gas from the carb.

Took a drive last night.   Still leaking a bit of oil from the turbo oil return.  Going to have to make a way to seal it for real.    

Sealed up the dipstick so no more quart of oil all over every time I drive it.

So it seems my carbon seal has gone bad.  I now get oil smoke out the exhaust when I let off  the  throttle.  Backfire through the carb might have done it?

Still messing with carb jets, ect.

Going to do some more tinkering and test drive again today.

If your oil return line is going down the block vent hole there is going to be a lot of air trying to get out as it's trying to drain in.  This is the problem with the dip stick tube as well. The crankcase is going to be under a small amount of pressure.

The diesel turbo oil seal is problematic on a draw through for the reasons I gave in an earlier post. There is also the real possibility that un-regulated boost has packed the rings in.

This thread is entertainment at its finest, should be renamed to "busguy61 vs engineering & physics".

I don't want to come across as an asshole or anything, just pointing out that there's important reasons as to why turbo engines are designed different from non turbo, but hey I'm rooting for you, my money however is on piston failure.

Keep us posted, bud!

I know there are plenty of draw threw turbos out there, but isn't there a danger of the fuel penetrating the bearing seals and toasting the turbo? 

So it seems my carbon seal has gone bad.  I now get oil smoke out the exhaust when I let off  the  throttle.  Backfire through the carb might have done it?

If the carbon seal on the intake side has gone, the danger is gas can penetrate into the oil. NOT GOOD. When you rebuild the turbo, make sure the kit you get has a new thrust collar for the intake side. Often you need to order that separately because they're expensive.

In the 80s I tried doing a draw through set up on my L20 swapped 510. I bit off way more than I could chew, and let's just say it didn't turn out well. fuel got in my oil and I toasted everything. I was an ambitious kid with a wild hair though, I'm sure you know the type. You on the other hand have the advantage of actually having a knowledge base approach. I'm enjoying learning from this thread. You and Mike know your shit.

• Like 1

ended up just removing the main jet for the secondaries.  Ran tits for a couple test runs.  Was going to do more tuning, but carb's throttle shaft is worn beyond help and so basically this stock hitachi carb is fucked.  On a related note.  Fuel consumption is out of control.  I burned 5 gallons in a 6 hot laps around the block.  I think I'm rich enough.  Engine never gets hot.  Carb plenum body ices up quick.

Now I believe I have some sort of ignition issue as it doesn't want to rev above 4000rpm.  Starts cutting out.  Work more on that tomorrow.

Guess I'll have to make a new plenum and try one of the multiple 4bbl carbs I have on hand.  

Today the ole Datsun left more rubber on the road then it's entire life's efforts combined.  Love that low end torque, that pulls right up to some decent h.p. at 7000rpm.  12-13lbs boost max

What a screamer. Always been a no torque turd before turbo install.   Needs a muffler for sure.  I'm sure my neighbors are getting tired of hearing me tearing around.

My fun to dollars spent ratio is off the charts.  I dare anyone to try and have more fun for the same $.