RZ500 V4 2 Stroke Barracuda

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a bike like that, you'd have the balls of your feet on the pegs to assist steering, gives better leverage. I hit my right heel on my exhaust all the time.

That mount is going to be a motherfucker to make strong and aesthetic.

Para your friend might need to move the hanger tab or reroute the pipe to the other side. Two R-L high Two R-L low

Rerouting the pipes would be ridiculously hard

Seriously, the stock rear foot peg had a little arm that held the pipes, but ante nuth'n stock up in there any more. I'm thinking dude should cut and reweld the eye bracket so it sits under the back side of the foot peg. Those pipes are paper thin though so...

The walls of the pipes are so thin you can pick them up with your pinky. I sure as hell would want to weld on them.

Sounds more interesting than what I envisioned; a coat hanger wrapped around the silencer flange and attached to the seat mount. Simple and cheep I say. LOL 

Can you do a simple sketch of what you're thinking? 

Over the weekend Frank took the bike (in progress) to the 2 Stroke Extravaganza bike show north of LA. As soon as he rolled the bike off the trailer he was approached by a photographer Paul Garson from Cafe Racer Magazine. Dude took a bunch of picts of him and his bike for the magazine's bike show features concerning the 2 Stroke Extravaganza show. Also said in an email Frank forwarded "I look forward to a more formal feature focusing on the completed Barracuda bike". 

Frank wants to open his own shop, and I told him, this is the kind of thing that established shops fight tooth and nail for. Free publicity in a bike mag is mana from heaven. 

• 4 weeks later...

this a rad bike. never knew about this model, engine is quite unique. and me, like a lot of us ratsun people, like unique.

keep with the updates if ya would, I like the way this bike is headed!

Tail piece is complete. It houses the engine management and other electronics, and is totally removable. Particularly like the LED blinkers.

Tailremove.jpg

Tailside.jpg

Tailback.jpg

Tailunder.jpg

So Frank fired up the harness and everything works in the electrical system... except spark to the plugs. Checked the obvious, but he hasn't had time to dig deeper. The concern is the CDI unit is dead, but I'm more inclined to think it's something simple like a F'ed up kill switch, or ignition. 

• Like 1

Hope that's all it is, the cdi probably isn't too common for that thing.

I hear you Q, I was thinking the same thing, but did a little search and found there are multiple companies in Europe and Canada making after market units. Some straight swap (around $220), others programable for quite a bit more.

So Frank fired up the harness and everything works in the electrical system... except spark to the plugs. Checked the obvious, but he hasn't had time to dig deeper. The concern is the CDI unit is dead, but I'm more inclined to think it's something simple like a F'ed up kill switch, or ignition.

My cbr wouldn't start once right after arriving at my destination, fuckin killswitch was all gummed up and the little bearings that actuate the contacts wouldn't move, a shot of electrical parts cleaner solved the problem. Hopefully its something simple like that and not the cdi. I can't wait to see a vid of that bitch ripping down the block.

• Like 1

Got this from Frank at midnight last night

Weird.  So I took another look at things, checked all the connections, and for a moment it looked like one of the CDI wires going to the engine was grounded.  So I was like..."Aha!" and also "fuck" which means I would have to take out and unwrap a major portion of the harness to find out why it was grounded...and then suddenly...I was clear, for no reason.  So, it could me a freaky short that's gonna come back, but I put it all back together and rolled the engine over and got sparkity spark sparks.

Gleee!   I hope!

No smoke on this one. The signal coming from the stater (kind of like a Cam Angle Sensor) to the CDI is a very low voltage momentary ground. The CDI box then triggers the coil to fire the big guns that arcs the plug. If the momentary ground signal is constant, everything in the CDI just locks up, but thankfully no smoke involved. 

Knowing Frank, he's already got the harness pulled apart looking for the issue. Not sure why, but he's saying the start date will be some time in July.  :crying:  WTF? I wouldn't have that kind of patience.