RZ500 V4 2 Stroke Barracuda

So after a month of sourcing parts, Frank finds a carbon fiber Ducati 999 tail and seat that look like it was made for his bike. When I first saw picts of the tail piece alone I didn't get it at all. I thought it looked way too Darth Vader, but when I saw it on the bike I was shocked how well it works. Insane how the shape of the tail piece follows to contours of the top pipes. Not to mention, it matches the CF exhaust baffles. Now he needs to stop fucking shoping and start doing some work.

tailrear.jpg

faringside.jpg

tailfull.jpg

tailamppipe.jpg

seat_1.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

My bad. I haven't kept up with this thread, but a lot has happened.

To start Frank has made a lot of modifications to the frame to clean it up, and fit new brackets for the tail, seat, peg set, and tank. Still looking for the right peg set, but he's thinking of CNCing an adjustable setup that would move the pegs back, and point the shifter down. Frank is 6'4" and the bike is made for someone 5'8". ADJUSTMENT MUST BE MADE.

He also built a media blasting enclosure and has gone ape shit cleaning stuff up, and painting. Having grown up near barrio Logan and Tijuana I think he's starting to express his inner Cholo with some of the details, but I've promised to keep an open mind. Frank has never disappointed with his design sense, so I have more trust than doubt. 

motorpipe.jpeg

Moterinframe.jpeg

Motorpipeposition.jpeg

• 1 month later...

After many hours of shop time and sourcing parts the bike is really starting to look far more finished. The level of detail is ridiculous as you can see from some of the closer shot. Many of the components have have seen modifications and many different color combinations. By the mercy of god he took the blue paint off the swing arm and left it dare aluminum.  :thumbup:  

Frank is sooting for a mid June start up date, and barring some huge obstacle I don't think that's unrealistic. Right now the bike is being trailered north of LA for a 2 stroke bike show. Dude just couldn't resist. As you can see, the tank isn't painted yet, but the plan is to paint is black with a ghosted metallic fish scale pattern and a blue tint in the clear coat. Will have to do a bunch of testing to come up with the right process. He doesn't have a paint booth, so he'll likely take it to a custom paint shop.

top.jpeg

Unreal how narrow the bike is. Imagine 160hp sitting behind that little radiator.

front.jpeg

There is a vexing issue with the exhaust hanger on the right side. This used to be supported by the rear peg sets, but as you can see, the new rear sets are not able to cary that much weight. It would be a shame to just weld up a conspicuous hunk of metal right there. any ideas?

Yah, it's a funky space though, nothing really lines up. Look at the top photo of the rear of the bike and you can see the hanger bracket on the pipe stands out about 2" from the plain of the peg set. Any bracket mounted there would have to warp behind the master cylinder, and needs to hold the pipes out so they don't make contacts with the swing arm. That eye bracket on the top pipe carries the bottom pipe too, so the carrier bracket will need to be pretty stout. It would be a bummer to have a bulky bracket hanging off that nice shiny peg set. I don't think the threaded eye on top of the foot guard wing on the rear set is strong enough hold the weight, but it could be used to hold out a box aluminum arm that hangs from the upper frame. Still going to look fnugly though.

Seriously, the stock rear foot peg had a little arm that held the pipes, but ante nuth'n stock up in there any more. I'm thinking dude should cut and reweld the eye bracket so it sits under the back side of the foot peg. Those pipes are paper thin though so... 

The Master cylinder shield can be removed and a new shield hanger can be machined to look intentional without being bulky.  Shield/Hanger

Edit: Guess not. Those bolts are to hold the MC on.......

Machine a hanger to go from the peg point to the pipe ear. 

• Like 1