NAPA can suck it.....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the counterman doesn't have a stack of books under his counter, something is wrong.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  A trained monkey can sling parts.  It's not hard.  But if you're looking for non-standard stuff, or have something not quite right, you need someone who knows how to think outside the box.  However, many people in upper management think books are bad, everything's online.  Until the power goes out.  We have two boxes of old school carbon copies and books for when the power goes down.  We can still hand write a receipt and bill out parts.  Granted you have to physically check the shelf to see if the part is there, but it's a damn site better than shutting down the store.

We have some books that are from the 90's because they're the only way to find OLD parts, like when your average farmer brings in a water pump for a hesston swather, or needs a set of points for a 1953 John Deere.  Yeah, find that in the computer.  Parts getting is only as good as the parts detective.  At my NAPA we use the internet, books, our old system, our new system, whatever, to find the part.

And sadly, I'm beginning to think about other careers.  I'm not really having fun anymore.  I actually hit the help wanted online tonight looking for other avenues.  I don't hate going to work, but I'm beginning to loathe not having a life.  And even if the money is good, I'm not sure it's worth is for 60 hours plus/week.  I'm beginning to think all I'm going to have to show for it is a lack of hair.  Idk.  Going to have to have something change.  Just not sure what.

Oh yeah, and fuck Toyota. ;)

• Like 2

If I happen to go past NAPA and need something, and if the price is reasonable and it's on the shelf I'll probably get it. But as for ordering anything from them I think I'm sure they have lost me as a customer. It won't put them out of business.

And sadly, I'm beginning to think about other careers.  I'm not really having fun anymore.  I actually hit the help wanted online tonight looking for other avenues.  I don't hate going to work, but I'm beginning to loathe not having a life.  And even if the money is good, I'm not sure it's worth is for 60 hours plus/week.  I'm beginning to think all I'm going to have to show for it is a lack of hair.  Idk.  Going to have to have something change.  Just not sure what

Any leads Matt? Are you looking at other retail (management) jobs or are you thinking about doing something completely different?

F me, I still don't know what I'd rather do.  I may just end up taking a lesser position in NAPA if it becomes available.  My mom actually suggested air-traffic controller.  Great money, weird hours, more stress, but only if you worry about the people on the planes on the radar blips.  Meh.  ;)

• Like 1

A friend is an air traffic controller. The shit part is that you WILL get assigned in some bumfuck middle of nowhere tower, and you will need to re-locate and work there for a few years until you have the seniority to request transfer. That is a deal killer for me.