NAPA can suck it.....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read on the photography forums I watch that UPS and (I think) FedEx have some special whopping fee for going into Canada. I'm not sure why or anything about it, but guys on the photo forums say to use USPS. There is a short customs form that needs to be filled out so may involve a trip to a PO that has the form. I believe the value can be declared a gift to avoid paying any duty, but maybe that somehow annoys the folks at Canadian customs and it is better to put a small declared value on the form.. Maybe someone with more actual knowledge of the perils of trying to mail something to Canada can give up to date info. It has been many years since I sent anything there.

I recall NAFTA being sold to the people as making US, Canada, and Mexico one big happy family. I think that is true for corporations, not guys trying to send a couple of oil seals.

Len

Our NAPA in Eugene is terrific :-)

North Bend Napa is awesome! Almost everybody there has been there over 25 years and doesn't flinch if you have a Jeep with a SBC. They know what questions to ask to get you what you need

• Like 1

North Bend Napa is awesome! Almost everybody there has been there over 25 years and doesn't flinch if you have a Jeep with a SBC. They know what questions to ask to get you what you need

I miss having those stores...but I do like the Napa here in Tumwater...a few of them know their product.

I'm sorry Mike, but I can't entertain any fuck my life threads today..... :)  Looks like you need a 17909 seal.  I have two in the warehouse.  I have two in my garage.  Hell, I'm pretty sure I had two in my bag of tricks at Canby, why didn't you get them from me then? :D

Freight is a bitch.  With the rise in fuel prices, there has been a cost increase in freight.  But those two small seals from even the East Coast would have been at the most $12 freight.  However, if someone doesn't order them right or has to order them from two separate places, then yes, there are two freight charges for $12, which of course would be more than the cost of the part by a long shot.

Typically we try to recover at least 80% of freight cost.  100% is great, but a lot of times that doesn't happen.  And a lot of times I eat freight when it's our bad or I need to to keep my customers happy.  That said, hell yeah I still charge freight, but we let people know the cost right up front.  Simple as calling our special order department and getting a P & A, or hopping online and doing a rough calculation on the UPS website.

Sounds like your local NAPA either has some newbie employees or they suck at customer service.  Fortunately for you, even though I'm having a fuck my life kind of day, I'll still get you some seals.  I'll even stick a big 'ol Cheney NAPA sticker on them and you can wave them in front of your NAPA store.   :D

The Nissan number doesn't cross for me, I see the correct seal as being 17909, let me know if that jives with your dimensions.  And shoot me a pm with your address so I can calculate shipping.

The rise in fuel cost is a false claim these days. Right now they are just gouging like a mofo.

Ask the airlines: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/07/doj-investigation-prompts-lawsuits-alleging-that-airlines-are-fixing-airfaresa.html

Ask this oil price chart:

oilpricechart20002015.jpg

PS. Invest in oil.

• Like 2

Yeah, but back 20 years ago, they just ate freight and didn't care vecause it wasn't that much.  Now, because of maybe a small bit of price increase, but mainly competition, we have to watch everything.  You know why our prices aren't actually higher than everyone elses?  Because they literally can't be due to competition.  We may try, but I've priced several things lately that were BELOW OReilly's price online.  No joke.  I was actually surprised.

I know costs have gone up, I accept that. I won't accept paying more... ($2 more) than the value of the part shipped. It did not cost $14 in gas to ship it 3K miles.

Matt.... next Canby I'm sending you a shopping list of parts I need for the 2016 summer.

• Like 2

I know costs have gone up, I accept that. I won't accept paying more... ($2 more) than the value of the part shipped. It did not cost $14 in gas to ship it 3K miles.

Matt.... next Canby I'm sending you a shopping list of parts I need for the 2016 summer.

Just let me know at least a week in advance buddy!

• Like 1

Well after a 48+ hour cool down requirement I just went to a competitor in town. Seals will be in tomorrow at 8:30 (or about 17 hours) and they were almost $5 each and $11.15 with tax. Now we're talkin'.

• Like 1

I am on the verge of sending my local NAPA a friendly email (to their managment). I went in a few days ago for some Toyota pickup hoses, six in all. I stood at the counter for 45 minutes while the guy looked them up and failed miserably. Finally, getting frustrated, I started searching on my smart phone and found three part numbers for him. When I got home, two of the five that I ended up getting were wrong. Not even close.

The suggestions I have for managment are:

Email: I could have emailed in the order and picked it up without the wait, but managment does not allow the employees to use email while on the clock. I see the logic, but I think it's lame.

Search: The parts search system must be antiquated because I found three hoses online in less time than it took the counter man to fart. The employees can use the NAPA online system to find parts, but it sucks. If this is their only resource, I can see why they fail so often. Flipping through paper books is the most failsafe way to get what you want, but this usually means identifying parts by image, not by application. Again...lame.

My local Napa is awesome, knowledgeable employees with great customer service. There's a lady that works there that used to work for a sprint car team, she gets shit done, knows cross references that aren't in the book or computer. She was the reason I made the sacdat fun run a few months ago. Shoutout to Jarlene.

• Like 1

Picked up my two grease seals as promised. Shipped overnight from Coquitlam for $11.15 total.

I've been going to NAPA for ever, mostly just inertia I guess. There are a lot of new faces behind the counter there in the last 4-5 years. Maybe this is the problem. The guy looking up my part found them in Ontario and maybe he though, like me, that shipping would be a couple of bucks. Anyway I hope he thinks about this next time. $14 to ship $12 worth of parts that would easily fit in an envelope they are so small is crazy. If you like your local NAPA support them by buying there. As for me I will never go to this one ever again.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to my local NAPA which is I usually have good experience with. All I needed was a Stant radiator cap with the red lever. I didn't know which one I needed because it was for an aftermarket Koyo radiator. I brought in an adapter that is the correct size and depth to match up around 3:50 on Sunday. They close at 4.

The guy at the counter clearly not interested in helping, told me "I do have Stant radiator caps but I won't have anything like that."

I'm like.. "uh really?" Then leave.

I drive 2 blocks to another parts house. Had it in 5 minutes.

Doesn't have one huh.. only fits:

ACURA (1989 - 2005) ASUNA 1993 CHEVROLET (1985 - 1988) CHRYSLER (1995 - 1999) DODGE (1995 - 1999) EAGLE (1995 - 1998) FORD (1989 - 2014) GEO (1989 - 1993) HONDA (1990 - 2007) HYUNDAI (1998 - 2014) INFINITI (1997 - 2014) ISUZU (1985 - 2013) KIA (2001 - 2014) LEXUS (1992 - 2007) LINCOLN (2009 - 2014) MAZDA (1993 - 2014) MERCURY (1989 - 2001) MITSUBISHI (1995 - 2011) NISSAN (1990 - 2014) PONTIAC (1985 - 1988) SUBARU (1999 - 2014) SUZUKI (2004 - 2011) TOYOTA (1994 - 2008)

NAPA on 11th?, one of the new guys?, yup, fucking tarded, I went on a long loud rant in there few months ago when I found out they fired Mike, Steve was taking care of me and told me the new owner is in the back, I raised my voice so the owner can hear me, I said..."really they fired Mike?, what kind of moron fires an employee who knows his customers by name and finds them the parts they are looking for?!, what are they going to replace him with?, a stuck up idiot that only cares about putting in the hours?!

Thats exactly what they hired....2 of them! :fu: new owner!

I still go there because Steve and Marcus find my shit...