• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-turbo rear, turbo front. 

BorgWarner2.jpg

So it won't bolt up to a lz22?

Nope, bolts right up and functions as any other would.  :thumbup:

But it's big, and beefy. Might need to massage the tunnel a good bit. Definitely have to cut the tunnel shifter hole open more for the bigger shifter. 

On the other hand, being a T-5, there are a TON of aftermarket shifters for it. 

The turbo transmission is a BorgWarner T-5 (known as the FS5R90A) and not even a great one. It has a ride ratio to get the turbo spooled faster in first gear. It's a 'top loader' with a removable bell housing with an L series bolt pattern. Later T-5s had a VG bolt pattern. It will handle a 280zx turbo but I'm not impressed with it. Nissan's 71B 5 speed was nearing the end of it's ability to handle the increasing displacement and power of the newest engines and the 71C was not yet available until the 300zx came out. For some reason Nissan continued with the T-5 and used the new FS5W71C on the non turbo engine. The T-5 is larger, longer and heavier (boat anchor) It's best feature is it's cheap to rebuild. You probably will have clearance issues with this huge bell housing and I don't know if the clutch disc spline or the drive shaft spline will match a 510... doubtful.

The FS5W71B used on the 280z/280zx, 620 and 720 trucks, 810 and Maxima are more than strong enough for a LZ. Lighter and easier to find. They come in three ratios wide medium and close ratio.

The FS5W71C is about twice as strong as the 71B and similar dimensions. Those in the D21 Hardbody 2wd would be the most common to find.

• Like 1

'79 620 or '80 720 2wd. Both are

1st.... 3.592
2nd... 2.246
3rd.... 1.415
4th.... 1.000

5th.... 0.864... 13.6% over drive. Good over drive ratio with a 3.364 rear gear.

BW T-5

1st.... 3.50
2nd... 2.144
3rd.... 1.375
4th.... 1.000

5th.... 0.780... 22% over drive. This is a huge jump from 4th gear for a 4 cylinder and worse, one with a 3.364 diff. 5th will simply be where you store the shifter when on a highway trip. Good for mileage no good in the wind, up grades or passing. You want snap get a 3.70 or better a 3.889 differential. But now the wide ratio has a disadvantage... first is so low it's almost useless. Like driving with the transfer case in low. Now a mid ratio transmission would give better acceleration

• Like 1

You probably will have clearance issues with this huge bell housing

The bellhousing isn't a problem. It's the top square plate on the trans that hits the tunnel. This bellhousing is no bigger than the VG bellhousing and it works great in a 510. 

and I don't know if the clutch disc spline or the drive shaft spline will match a 510... doubtful.

Output spline matches. As far as input spline, it doesn't matter if you use the 280ZX turbo clutch disc. Input shaft tip is the same diameter, so the L-series pilot bushing works. 

I have both on the floor of the shop right now, so I can compare to make 100% sure of anything you want to know.

None of the above is to say that I endorse the T-5, just saying it's not an exceptionally difficult option.  ;)

I'm pretty sure Nissan wanted it to bolt into the same spot as the Nissan trans, so they made it pretty simple. There are differences between the 280ZX T-5 and the ones used in the Mustang/Camaro (ask me how I found out the hard way), but as for buying internal rebuild parts (as Mike pointed out), and aftermarket shifters, it does simplify things.

The input spline has to be the same as the Nissan one. After checking, I believe it is. The T-5 clutch disc is 240mm and for that to fit an LZ22 you would have to have a matching 240mm PP and flywheel.

The bellhousing isn't a problem. It's the top square plate on the trans that hits the tunnel. This bellhousing is no bigger than the VG bellhousing and it works great in a 510....

...I'm pretty sure Nissan wanted it to bolt into the same spot as the Nissan trans, so they made it pretty simple. There are differences between the 280ZX T-5 and the ones used in the Mustang/Camaro (ask me how I found out the hard way), but as for buying internal rebuild parts (as Mike pointed out), and aftermarket shifters, it does simplify things.

I agree on a zx car but this is going into a 510 tunnel where space is at a premium. I think you will find it a tight fit.

I agree on a zx car but this is going into a 510 tunnel where space is at a premium. I think you will find it a tight fit.

I am aware.   B)

But it's big, and beefy. Might need to massage the tunnel a good bit. Definitely have to cut the tunnel shifter hole open more for the bigger shifter. 

I believe the shifter location might be further forward than the regular nissan transmissions? At least on the S30 Z-series the shifter sits almost 2" forward than stock so it sometimes hits the console in 5th, depends on shifter.

I actually like the BW  T5, compared to the other nissan 5-speeds i've driven it(with the exception of the z32 tt one).

The trick is to use dexron 2 or 3 oil in it and ditch the stock shifter! I used a hurst mustang short shifter on mine and it was awesome, but this was on a l28et, gearing might be a little off for a four cylinder n/a as mentioned...

It shouldn't be I've swapped one in my ZX when I did a turbo swap kinda irrelevant but you'll need the driveshaft that goes with it. If you want a short shifter pretty much any 83-04 mustang short shifter will fit. I got a Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter for mine under $200 with shipping back in 08-09 and they swap right over with no modification. Just order it for the year of the transmission 82 or 83. I ordered mine as a 83 mustang GT. a NA 5 speed is so much easier to find if your pulling it off a car make sure it's a well working one. What's nice though if you look at the World Class T5 it's basically a beefier version with better gearing and would swap right over using the L6 turbo housing those came off the fox body mustang saleens.