B310 of Maximum Zootness

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread and great car!

You have had a lot of similar ideas to what I have, before I found my early parts car i was going to do the same thing with the bumpers that you did, even thought about modifying to quarter bumpers with fog lights in the middle up front and centre twin exhaust pipes out back, had the same thought with the louvres in the hood too!

Love your twin vertical stacked pipes, really got me thinking, but I am still keen on running centre exit side by side...

Subscribed and following!

Yeah, that's what I should have done instead of the individual sections. When I ordered them, the dimensions of the cut out I wanted overshadowed the amount of work needed. In retrospect I could have compromised a little. That is the brand I used though. The louvers were nice and crisp and they got them to me super quickly.

Yeah, that's what I should have done instead of the individual sections. When I ordered them, the dimensions of the cut out I wanted overshadowed the amount of work needed. In retrospect I could have compromised a little. That is the brand I used though. The louvers were nice and crisp and they got them to me super quickly.

Good to know! I have yet to find many options in Australia for louvres, so I may end up getting that one...

'Twas a pretty good session, only one cutoff wheel exploded. It just bounced off my knuckle, only enough blood and injury to make a man feel alive.

Got the hood vent dinguses welded in.

10CF2A5A-1D24-4540-997C-B6B9C3415CC1.jpg

Had enough bodywork fun, so I un boxed my shiny new Teutonic rear shocks. I took a gamble on these based off of Internet measurements, but the stars aligned for me.

D800F2BA-1593-4415-85E1-21D9889A57DA.jpg

They are meant for an 86 camaro and are about 2" shorter both ways. They are stud mount on the bottom, but the exploding grinder made quick work of that. I just pressed the sleeve from the old shock into the bushing. I also reused the shock mounted bumps top from the factory shock.

Full bump;

768B3AB7-4360-49E9-8DB3-BF72925FD56E.jpg

Full extension;

2F4289AC-432B-4156-B12D-9DCF311BD172.jpg

I trimmed 2 of the dead coils off of my progressive springs. They are fully trapped on extension. It's not quite as low as I would like, but the car is not loaded and the springs will settle. I am going to wait to trim anymore off.

• Like 2

Shit got real.

0F55D64E-C164-4617-B72C-7BC0E1C8ECD9.jpg

My daily A10 has been extremely reliable for the last 50,000ish miles I've put on it. As a reward, it got disembowled.

B6D99BEC-DFF2-492B-8F5B-2210C586E98B.jpg

Fear not, fans of shit brown swag wagons, the A10 will live on. It is getting the A15 out of the b310 and will be pressed back into daily service.

When I had both the cars spread all over the driveway, I made some comparisons. The sub frames between the 2 cars are identical except for the engine mount pedestals. What does differ is the tension rod and tension rod mount length. Both respectively are about 3/4" shorter on the b310. The sway bar on the b310 is bent slightly differently and is ~19mm. I was able to use it in the A10 by bolting the mounts in backward. The wagon had a ~21mm bar and that will go on the 310. The transmission mount saddle was also narrower. It swapped right over though. Drive shaft popped right in.

3CE7899B-6482-46EE-B1CF-EDE5A8A8D519.jpg

All in all it is going as smoothly as I could have hoped. Which is nice because I need to drive it to work next week.

Hot dog in a hallway...

30913D62-8702-484B-AE59-5559AFDE86EB.jpg

• Like 3

I normally try to do that, but that's not what the wagon is for.

Swap is all buttoned up for the most part. I have to figure out the kickdown wiring. All 3 of the diagrams I have do t match 100%. There are a few little things to clean up, but it will get me to work now.

As far as performance....lol. My best 0-60 with the L20 was 9.77 (no rocket ship by any means), the auto/ A15 combo netted a glacial 19.5 second 0-60 time. Times taken with my GPS speedo, so fairly accurate. It's almost fun to be so slow. It also sounds like shit with the open L20 exhaust. I'm going to throw a glass pack in to cut down the rasp.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Dragging this out of the depths...been busy blah blah blah

The A10 subframe is in along with the steering box and rebushed control arms (pain in the dick to change bushings with a bench vice). I don't have the tension rod bushings in because I haven't decided what I want to do there yet. I need more caster than stock, but there are a bunch of ways to skin that cat.

C93AFF18-669B-4173-8156-2D9831CB0C74.jpg

Decided that my A pillar brace majiggers needed improvement. Made some dimple died plates to re enforce them. Having louvers and dimple dies turns an econo shitbox into a race car.

3D5C8AAB-E0C7-41D0-A1A3-17752250A76B.jpg

Everything clears at full bump.

29E916DA-772A-43CF-A923-644F37FB61C6.jpg

I took my coil overs apart to tweak a few things, but the Rt cartridge is stuck in the housing. I had to stop attempts at extraction because I thought I was going to break something. I have it soaking in penetrant now. There's always next weekend.

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...

Project is not dead! Life's other shit just bogging down the machine....

I sold the A10 to a friend because I needed something a bit bigger to haul the kids around. I wanted a rwd Maxima, but Atlantis would be more easily found. I picked up a G (well A, but GM is dumb) body Buick and promptly blew it up.

091F0C61-BF4F-40B0-837B-C5A552B43DC2.jpg

That is almost buttoned up, but I was jonesing for some Datsun time.

I got the L20 resealed and painted, but neglected to take photos. It is showing some bore wear so will need a rebuild after the rest of the car is sorted. It is good enough for now though.

The strut mentioned earlier was a whore. The insert could not be removed without massive force. I ended up ruining a $100 kyb. I was pretty pissed. The other side, thankfully came apart ok. I shortened the housing a little over 5/8" and threw some paint on it. I'll finish the other side once the new insert comes in and then make up some tension rods.

B96C8739-2D11-4F7C-8232-60BE4489E4B9.jpg

• Like 2

I do it right cause I do it twice!

I wasn't happy with the weld penetration where I sectioned the strut so I blasted them again and cut them apart again and sleeved them this time.

AD177C18-0CEE-416F-A761-DFC713C0D280.jpg

My replacement insert shipped a couple of days ago. Once that shows up, I can get these slammed back together and move on to something else.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven't pushed this into a ditch and set it on fire....I have been in Africa for the past few months producing freedom, and will be for a few more. I think about it often and look forward to getting back to it maximum attack.

Good to see Photobucket acting the fool. I'll have to figure out how to get pictures back up.