The legend of Datman

A few of You might have seen these banks on ebay:

Datmanbank2.jpg

Datmanbank.jpg

After several un-sucessful bids during the last 2 years I was finally high bidder on Thursday. The seller didn't know anything about it and googled this: http://www.triadzclub.com/index.asp?inc=datman which He added to His listing.

So, noticing that there was a lack of history and also that Escondido was My hometown, I decided to post just what I know about Datman.

The first owner of Escondido Datsun was a man named Tom Erler. He was the brainchild of Datman. I do not know yet what all He made with the "superhero" design but here are a few photos showing what I do know was made.

First off, the painting on the service department wall:

Datmanwall.jpg

This photo was taken by Dave Bednarczyk sometime in 1975. Also taken that day was a very new 4X4 620. I enlarged it's license plate frame which says "Datman". I still own My frame from My old Datsun SS but it didn't have that on the top, just Escondido.

Datmanframe.jpg

Finally, Mark can relate with this SAVE EVERYTHING!! I kept all these years the business cards given to My father during the purchase of My first truck. I don't imagine that many of these survived but look:

Datmanbizcards.jpg

Datmanbizcard.jpg

Datman business cards!!! Who knows what other items will surface? I will try to get further history from a few old employees that I have tracked down.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bank this time with shipping went for about $55.00 which is (luckily for Me) the cheapest one has gone for yet. The first two hovered just below the $200.00 range and the bid was stopped on the third. Private sale. The 4th one went to Japan. I was VERY lucky to get this one. I was totally bummed as the last one came up just a few days before the Bar-B-Que, which I really had hoped to display it at. I am sure hoping that this one gets here before JCCS. I already have the rest of the display built. I will be using an old A&W rootbeer carhop tray for the display. Years ago I used the tray to display My photo album on My 1956 Ford panel. Now I need a Datman license plate frame!! The t-shirt idea is a must!! Who can make those?? Mr. Erler has passed on and the logo is over 30 years old so I don't think there would be a copyright issue.

• Like 1

that's hella cool to be able to find a collectable piece of datsun history like that. i've never even heard of it. i wonder how many banks were made or if there was any other datman stuff or if any other dealers had special stuff made.

i collect all type of older antique stuff. this will now be on my list to find.:)

does it have a plug on the bottom or back?

Tedman,

I see an Escondido frame next to the bank. Did You by chance photograph that too? It looks like a "plate" in the frame with Datman (which I've never seen before) painted or silkscreened. I like the plastic protection holder. Maybe Datrod knows how to ask these people what they own/know of Datman. Yes 521, I have read on Ebay listings (I don't physically have a bank yet to verify) that there is a plug in the bottom.

Tedman,

I see an Escondido frame next to the bank. Did You by chance photograph that too? It looks like a "plate" in the frame with Datman (which I've never seen before) painted or silkscreened. I like the plastic protection holder. Maybe Datrod knows how to ask these people what they own/know of Datman. Yes 521, I have read on Ebay listings (I don't physically have a bank yet to verify) that there is a plug in the bottom.

Mike, I so recommend you going to that museum. I wish I had been able to put more time aside, plan for at least one whole day...You'll probably never leave :D

• 5 years later...