naps 2.4 tbi

I have a naps 24 with tbi. I paid $175 for it. Supposed to be in good condition as it was allegedly pulled for an electric conversion with 150k ish miles. I bought this from jovial cynic before summer and sat in the back of my truck under a canopy til recently.

I had plans to do a lz for my 510 but have since realized my overload of projects.

Let me know if any of you are interested. Shoot me a reasonable offer.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The earliest it could be is '86.5, the Z24i was used in the next gen truck after the 720 but a few mid year '86 720 trucks got them. I got a deal on a Z24 from an '84. When I pulled it, I found the '84 motor had been replaced with an '88 Z24i block and head. The '84 intake had been put on it. Good strong motor with about 33% more torque than an L20B.

The earliest it could be is '86.5, the Z24i was used in the next gen truck after the 720 but a few mid year '86 720 trucks got them. I got a deal on a Z24 from an '84. When I pulled it, I found the '84 motor had been replaced with an '88 Z24i block and head. The '84 intake had been put on it. Good strong motor with about 33% more torque than an L20B.

I have considered strongly about puting it in my 620 since I mostly use that for hauling stuff. I like the l18 in it but a 2.4 of any sort would obviously be better. I dont have a naps tranny or bellhousing though. But if someone wants it for $150 right now I would prefer that.:D

H-mmmm. There's a bit more room in a truck, I wonder how much of a tilt the NAPS engine would be on, if mated to an L tranny, L mounts and L pan? I know it's 12 degrees counter clockwise as viewed from the front. This would tilt the carb and intake downward and the exhaust up slightly. The exhaust is no problem I would think and the carb moves down away from the hood maybe closer to the pass side inner fender a bit. If it's got the TBI wiring and ECU I wouldn't worry about the tilt, it's fuel injection. If running a carb you'll need one and a manifold and it's easy enough to make a wedge shaped spacer for the carb to keep it level and a short exhaust extension on the vertical part of the down pipe. You will also need a carb Z24 distributor too. The Z24i uses a crank angle sensor. Myself, I would try to find the ECU and keep the EFI.

Does anyone see anything seriously wrong with this? Seems like it should work. I have a Z24 in my '78 and it pulls it's 3,400 lb weight really well compared to the L20B. That's why I switched. For a stock truck the L is more than adequate but if hauling heavy loads and a Z is the only available choice I say think about it.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 1 year later...
I have a naps 24 with tbi. I paid $175 for it. Supposed to be in good condition as it was allegedly pulled for an electric conversion with 150k ish miles. I bought this from jovial cynic before summer and sat in the back of my truck under a canopy til recently.

I had plans to do a lz for my 510 but have since realized my overload of projects.

Let me know if any of you are interested. Shoot me a reasonable offer.

still got it? I am in Tacoma

H-mmmm. There's a bit more room in a truck, I wonder how much of a tilt the NAPS engine would be on, if mated to an L tranny, L mounts and L pan? I know it's 12 degrees counter clockwise as viewed from the front. This would tilt the carb and intake downward and the exhaust up slightly. The exhaust is no problem I would think and the carb moves down away from the hood maybe closer to the pass side inner fender a bit. If it's got the TBI wiring and ECU I wouldn't worry about the tilt, it's fuel injection. If running a carb you'll need one and a manifold and it's easy enough to make a wedge shaped spacer for the carb to keep it level and a short exhaust extension on the vertical part of the down pipe. You will also need a carb Z24 distributor too. The Z24i uses a crank angle sensor. Myself, I would try to find the ECU and keep the EFI.

Does anyone see anything seriously wrong with this? Seems like it should work. I have a Z24 in my '78 and it pulls it's 3,400 lb weight really well compared to the L20B. That's why I switched. For a stock truck the L is more than adequate but if hauling heavy loads and a Z is the only available choice I say think about it.

I had a Z24 in a 1970 pickup with a carb. Ran like a beast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.