Half Pint - Z22 swapped 510 goon

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no other outlet for stress, so I actually HAVE to spend some personal time in the garage. During my first semester of law school, I stopped spending ANY money or time in the garage. I got so wound up and bent out of shape from having no way to reduce stress it was damaging my marriage 

Garage time has always been my outlet too which, luckily enough my wife seems to fully understand. 

Same here. I spend 4-5 hours every Saturday morning working on my cars and it's almost the only thing keeping me sane...   :rofl:

Thankfully my wife is also very understanding.  :thumbup:

• Like 4

It's rather snowing outside, so working inside continues. I'm finishing up small things on the harness.

My interior fuse block wasn't in the greatest condition. Busted mount, corroded contacts, etc.

So I poured white vinegar into a gallon Ziploc, dunked the whole fuse block into that bag, and left it there for a couple days (on accident, i kinda forgot about it in the garage). When I removed it, I hosed it down with electrical contract cleaner. The contacts appear to be clean, so I'm going to assume that helped.

Next up, broken mount.

Good side looks like this.

20170102_154610_zpsbaijsp6i.jpg

Busted side looks like this.

20170102_154614_zpsk5hagjjh.jpg

I cut myself a piece of random bracket from my scrap bin which will go here.

20170102_154629_zpst4ce9og2.jpg

I removed the paint, and ground it up a bit to provide myself a good grippy gluing surface. I also trimmed down a couple of plastic protrusions on the fuse block and then scuffed and gouged the side of the block as well.

20170102_155136_zpsny6fpil3.jpg

JB welded and clamped. Some finish work is still to be done, shaping and painting and such.

20170102_180214_zps7x5c8mjl.jpg

There is a plastic strap on the back of these fuse blocks, which pins all the wires down so they don't interfere with mounting by sticking out to much. It snaps in to 4 holes on the back.

Mine was competely gone. Weird PO issues. I wanted something stiff, plastic, with rounded edges to replace it. See-through would make it easy to line up with the four holes and mark/drill them.

20170103_021529_zpskexcih5z.jpg

A $0.32 children's ruler fit the bill perfectly. Cut to length, holes marked and drilled, and screwed into place. The screws stick up a bit to much, so I will have to mount the fuse block on small spacer shims I think. Not a big deal.

• Like 2

Finally ordered the v band exhaust flanges. I ordered 3 sets of them, which I think will be sufficient.

I also ordered some amber leds to light my dash/gauges etc. I might need to purchase a few white or other colored to finish the dash, like turn signals and such. I just need to remember to leave an incandescent in the charge light.

Going to build my exhaust and test it with the parts I listed previously. If it drones, I will be installing this resonator/glasspack. Walker 24442, 2 inch diameter, aluminized, 20 inches.

24442.jpg

• Like 1

Since it's been rather cold, much of my attention has been turned to research instead of labor.

Mr. BigTanker posted photos of a heater vent pod he was turning into a gauge pod. I think it was a jdm option? I'm not sure.

IMG_5331_zpsyof0ejmx.jpg

I have my 720 oil and volt meters that might need a home, depending on whether I use a 720 center console or the 210 console I bought. I like what tanker is doing, but I'm afraid that I can't afford to pay to play like he does.

So I went looking. And found this.

32-26.jpg

Its wider for sure, but still might look ok. I made a template of it that I will be using to loosely test fitment, get a feel for it.

I'm aware it's crap, but I made it at work using a beater measuring tape, a clip board for a straight edge and tracing a can of Code Red for the circles. Good enough for me :)

• Like 1

Since the pod has three circles and I only have 2 gauges, that puts me in the perfect position to add a clock. I have wanted to add an analog clock to this build for a long time, but never had a good place to put one.

I have a Q45 clock that's nice, but it is white, which I don't prefer for this build.

P9080201.JPG

There is a black version of it which is nice looking.

P9080197.JPG

But I really like this QX4 clock. So I am going to obtain one of these if I end up going that route

075CEA96-8D37-483B-B90C-3DE915B8B3C2.JPG

So my dash center will go

radio bezel (down to)

ashtray

Original a/c piping

Gauge pod

210 center console

20160918_175312_zpsbp9r9gqp.jpg

Just imagine that gauge pod filling the gap between the console and the a/c tube.

Since the center console covers the heater outlets, and I don't need 2 radio openings, I'm thinking I will install this fill panel on the console.

!Byl9fGQEGk~$(KGrHqEOKjEEwWHmqyFmBMSb,DS

Then plumb the lower heater to those vents.

That was a lot of info. Did you slog your way through it all?

• Like 3

The a/c tube I have ends 3 or so inches shy of the outside edge of the dashboard on both sides, which I dislike.

20160918_175312_zpsbp9r9gqp.jpg

The same company that sells the vent pod I want for gauges also sells these vent "end caps". They sell tons of other really nice add on or under dash a/c options as well.

32-10.jpg

I'm tempted to mold these in to finish the unit all the way to outside edges of the dash. But then again, that might be a bit too "venty". Maybe I could cap the openings, and install the units backwards so they just finish it all nicely. But just tossing out ideas for now.

• Like 2

Got a few parts in the mail.

Most importantly, my exhaust flanges.

20170114_163927_zps4x8suf4l.jpg

20170114_164057_zpshj1tiwyl.jpg

Pretty decent fit. A touch of pipe stretching and they will fit nice and snug. Perfect to weld in place.

Also got a pack of Amber LEDs for my dash. No pic as it's a small container of LEDs...

As I've been touching up things on my wiring harness, I noticed a wire on my water temp sensor connector was fraying. I messed with it, and of course, I broke the wire. So I tried to take the connector apart and rebuild it. I broke it more.

I went to the junkyard today and snagged another connector from a mid nineties bmw 540. This time I made sure it was in decent condition before I cut it off.

And tonight I installed it.

20170116_194344_zps1iaymgxk.jpg

20170116_195624_zpsghgn9h45.jpg

And I'm back to where I was, but better components.

In other, other news, I put my dash in and mocked up the gauge bezel idea with everything.

20170115_165424_zpsm9qmbifu.jpg

20170115_165446_zpsjg77qcuu.jpg.

I'm comfortable with the basic size of the gauge pod and the flow the dash has with it, so I think I will be going that direction.

However, I'm not stoked about the overall fitment of the stock a/c stuff. I may sell that off in favor of a smaller unit, maybe just 2 center rectangle pods, and maybe space for a couple switches.

• Like 3

Did a small Junkyard run today. I came specifically because they listed an 02 QX4 the other day, which meant i could likely get the clock i want for the 510. And i did.

20170123_134948_zpsxjyqadeh.jpg

I also picked up this fantastic saab maxi fuse block. I won't be using it on half pint, but it's awesome for further projects.

20170123_134850_Burst01_zpseur7a1cq.jpg

Additionally, I snagged a handful of various electrical connectors in 4, 6, and 8 wire varieties and 4 or 5 short 6-gauge ground wires/straps that bwm puts between the body and the hood for some reason.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 720 volt and oil pressure gauges in my 710. I just mounted the two in their original mount under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It's out of the way and doesn't interfere with the right side shifter, console, heater controls.

• Like 2