Ashley's 510 SR wagon build.

Hello Ratsun! I've been slacking on my forum post badly! I'm on Facebook and instagram (510_dillon) but I'm hoping to get back on here more. So after my awesome trip to Canby, Jeff (Icehouse) had suggested to make a build thread for my girlfriends 510 wagon. I'm sure a couple people saw it at Canby and recognized it. It was previously owned by Doug who decided to post it on craigslist since he didn't drive it much and it just sat in his garage. Ashley and I had talked about picking her up a wagon and when she saw it online she was already sold. We picked it up February 2014 for a good price since he knew it was going to a good home.

The pic is right after we picked it up. She was grinning ear to ear since random people on the freeway were giving her thumbs up not even a half an hour after the purchase driving back up to Everett.

ash28.jpg

The wagon had an L20 with a weber carb, and dogleg 5 speed. It ran awesome and had good power. She took it to a couple shows, cruised it all of summer 2014. After riding and driving my NA SR powered dime she decided that's what she wanted in her wagon. She slowly started getting parts for the swap since we were in no rush because the L20 was a good runner. Fast forward a couple months to April 2015 we had most everything for the swap so we decided to go for it since I promised it would be done by Canby.

Last bath before BYE BYE L-SERIES!

ash1.jpg

ash4.jpg

Took the chance and ordered up a Nissan s14 sr20de through ebay after doing research on a couple engine importers. Started stripping it of the power steering pump and AC unit in the back of my truck.

ash3.jpg

Time for some cleaning!

ash2.jpg

Installed a lightened flywheel and Exedy Clutch, also talked her into a B&M short shifter because I have them in both my dimes and they are the BEST!

ash6.jpg

ash7.jpg

The engine and trans went in flawlessly.

ash8.jpg

Flipped crossmember and t3 trans brace.

ash9.jpg

Ran some bigger fuel hard lines and tucked them up nice and tight!

ash12.jpg

Mocking up a downpipe using a SR turbo header and a steel bolt on flange to the outlet. 

ash10.jpg

Picked up a Nardi deep corn wheel as well! Craigslist score!

ash5.jpg

Also ordered the futofab TC rods.

ash13.jpg

Motor set with the header.

ash11.jpg

Cleaned up behind the grill and repainted the black before the radiator gets mounted.

ash14.jpg

Went with the CX racing radiator and have not had any problems. It is a little wider then most but it fits!

ash16.jpg

A quick tack together for a shifter plate box I built.

ash18.jpg

It didn't turn out too bad. Sorry no close up! Sprayed it with a wrinkle finish black.

ash22.jpg

Bam! Who doesn't love the color purple??? It really made the engine bay pop.

Illusion purple powdercoat with a clear.

ash20.jpg

Fabbed up a gas pedal from a nissan pathfinder at the local pick n pull. The cable was a little longer then I would have liked but it works. 

ash21.jpg

After getting everything squared away other then the wiring my father and I trailered it to my wiring buddy Jeff! (icehouse) He put in the hours and had it ready to run the next day! After discovering the fuel return line was pinched by the tank the first fire up went smoothly.

ash25.jpg

finished product!

ash24.jpg

All in all the swap was completed in exactly a month since we had most all the parts and with Canby approaching we had other datsuns to work on so we hustled on the goon. Plus I wanted her to get some drive time in to make sure it was all good for the drive down.

Other then the brake fade in Portland traffic from the header heating up the brake master it made it to canby successfully with no issues. I picked up some heat wrap from a generous datsun enthusiast at the show to wrap the master and took out the inner headlight to get better airflow as a quick fix so we had no problems on the way home. A heat shield and synthetic fluid will be the next fix. 

Couldnt be happier that she made it to Canby 2015!

ash29.jpg

Next to Joels beautiful wagon.

ash26.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the read and pics!

• Like 11
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see you back on the forum Dillon!!  Great post and great work!  Both Ashley and her wagon are beautiful!  As much as I like Joel's, I'd be afraid to drive it.....I'd much rather own this one. :)

• Like 3

welcome back-ish Dillon :rofl: great build and in record time!

I remember canby ages ago when I came across you guys at a skate park after the show Sun

down the street from my house randomly as I was taking parts home :rofl:

pulled a wheel bearing out of the 240z on the side of my house for Franks 510 just in case his didnt make it back haha.

• Like 2

I think you already saw my facebook post about how impressed I was with this Goon all weekend at Canby, & that was BEFORE I had seen the engine!   WOW, that sure looks good in there!   I have always thought it took a lot of surgery on the chassis to do this kind of swap, but after seeing this, you have me thinking about it again.   such a Beautiful car, Congratulations!

• Like 2

I appreciate all the compliments guys, means a lot. It helps starting with a clean dime to begin with that's for sure.

welcome back-ish Dillon :rofl: great build and in record time!

I remember canby ages ago when I came across you guys at a skate park after the show Sun

down the street from my house randomly as I was taking parts home :rofl:

pulled a wheel bearing out of the 240z on the side of my house for Franks 510 just in case his didnt make it back haha.

Thank you! Yes i remember that, what was that 2009 or 2010?? I wanted to head to that park this year but a lot of my buddies bailed on canby saying they weren't ready. Haha better safe then sorry!

Can't you guys leave an L motor in anything..... :lol:

So off of what qtip just said, what do yall do with the ls when you pull them out?

Heck no! Unless it's a car we are selling then the L series stays.  :rofl: The old motor went to my dad but he ended up recently selling it to a buddy to fund his new SR build in his red two door.

I think you already saw my facebook post about how impressed I was with this Goon all weekend at Canby, & that was BEFORE I had seen the engine!   WOW, that sure looks good in there!   I have always thought it took a lot of surgery on the chassis to do this kind of swap, but after seeing this, you have me thinking about it again.   such a Beautiful car, Congratulations!

Thank you Loren and it was nice to meet you. The swap is not too bad just one step at a time and don't pull your car apart till you have acquired most the parts is key!

Looks so nice!

Too bad Kelvin wasn't there with his Blue NA SR wagon...  They are near twins!   "His and Hers"

Thanks Carter, your Canby photo album has some sweet shots by the way!

I was hoping to see his wagon, it is a super clean car! I remember it from last year. It has the power windows correct??

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...