Please help ID these struts for Upgrade!

jayoop

Hello Ratsun, seeing as though this is my first thread on the forum I would like to introduce myself before asking for help... My name is Jonathan, 20Y/O full-time student and proud owner of a Datsun 510 which is in desperate need of TLC(I mean floor up). Pops used to have a couple DIMEs back in the day and I'm stoked to be able to restore one (even though I'll be even more broke). 

A friend of mine was at the junkyard today and shot these pictures of struts which are either from an Altima or Maxima. I am looking to do the big brake conversion and have heard (from pops) that Maxima struts work. Can someone ID these struts and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction? I'm working on a budget as I have to redo the pans as well and would like to get suspension work underway. I plan on using the struts with the stock 510 spring perch resting on a 2" ID collar. Do these look right? Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o561/Jonathan_Wigodsky/IMG_0716_zpsoz2zbea6.jpg

Edit: Still learning how to embed pictures on this forum, sorry!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for '79-'83 280zx struts, failing that, '81-'84 Maxima struts will work. (I have '84 Maxima goon struts on my 710) The Maxima rotors are just a couple of mm's smaller diameter than the zx ones and the caliper, thought different looking than the zx, is essentially the same and quite large.

When you find these struts be sure to get the 15/16" master cylinder that is matched to the caliper size. If the zx master only get if '79-'81) Better to have it and not need it later than not have it. The 510 uses a 3/4" master and usually no power assist. A small master will need to move more fluid to work the larger calipers and will travel a lot farther and 'feel' mushy. A 15/16" master will move more fluid but require more effort and feel like stepping on a brick. A B-210 brake booster can be fitted to the 510 and allow the 15/16" master to 'feel' about right. If you have no plans to add a booster, then go up one size or so in master cylinder (maybe 13/16 or 7/8")  if you find the 3/4" too soft.

• Like 1

The whole point of a Datsun is you can have good handling, power, and brakes without spending an arm and a leg.

I got my Maxima struts for free by waiting for them, rebuilt the 15/16" master for $20, used new rotors (I forget the price maybe $40 a side?) trimmed the stock spring and used the 710 lower perch and supported them with split collars for $25, replaced the damper oil with 20W motorcycle fork oil for $17. What's that add up to?.. under $150? Lower ride height (also adjustable) firmer renewed damper action, larger vented rotors and monster calipers. Sure I could have spent $600-$700 but I didn't and I can say great cars are built not bought.