New to the forum, New to the Datsun

Hey guys, I'm Peter, 23 years old, and I'm in Mesa, AZ. I just bought a 1970 Datsun 521. I'm really excited to start working on this and hopefully get it running. Doesn't look like it needs too much. I've never owned a pre 90s vehicle. Its quite a lot to learn, and there isn't much literature I can find on it. So if anyone is around mesa, and wants to bring theirs so I can see a clean one, or even the next show, that would be awesome. I am thinking about doing an engine swap too, just throwing that out there.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun, I'm in Mesa and know the truck via the PO.  Don't spend your money on a "new" dist, I have about 6 of them that will work.

PM me

I am at University East of Higley the house with two Yellow Datsuns and one Green one in the driveway.

Point well take on publishing my PN

Hey, I like the tach. It is big enough I could read it with my aged eyes.  And only slightly smaller than the steering wheel. :P  I like the overall look of the truck - old school rules. The lack of a top radiator hose is interesting/of concern, but maybe a new one is being installed. All new hoses is a very good idea especially in AZ. Is that an L16? Get it running soonest so we can all cheer for you.

Len

Solve the problem.... replace only what's needed, or your next post will say... " replaced distributor, still doesn't start " This, replace everything until it works, gets expensive fast and you  don't learn anything in the process.

That's really the wrong head for an L16. You need a number head like a 210 not a letter head like that W58 and here's why.... The correct 210 head has a smaller combustion chamber (38cc) matched to your 1.6 liter displacement. The W58 combustion chambers are much larger for a 2 liter engine and are 45.2cc. Used on an L16 it will drop your compression from 8.5 down into the 6s. It will run for now but be lacking in power.

Do NOT throw that distributor away! If a W58 head, maybe a matchbox distributor was swapped in too. I don't see a ballast resistor and it has a janky aftermarket coil so who knows???