280zx strut inserts..quickie question

Alright so the horse has come back from it's biweekly beating....did some searching and reading, I found one thread that I (believe) faced a similar issue, so let me jump right into it.

I have no experience with modifying suspension..I've installed adjustable coilovers that are all set up out of the box..

So I bought some 280zx goodies, they have no inserts, tophats, and I believe conveniently the perch was already lopped off...so chatting with the seller because he had an absolutely wicked 510 he informed me he was also running mr2 inserts that I had planned to purchase, as well as s13 camber plates..activate plot thickening mixture

I knew of a blown set of s13 coils with good camber plates that I purchased for the ripe price of 50 dollars. Now here's where the issue comes, the seller informed me a sleeve or somthing rather was created to allow the insert to work with the camber plate because they are different thread pitches. Can anyone explain the way to remedy this? Is there somthing that can match up the threads? Is there a write up, or a place I could happily purchase said doo dad that I need , or have I wasted what could have been several trips to my delectable local sushi bar?

Edit: the post I was referring to someone mentioned t3 knowing the answer to the question, I emailed them a couple days ago but awaiting a response, so I'm turning here as well

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey draker, I edited my post to include that I emailed t3..I must have done it as you were posting because I missed it entirely. Does t3 supply a threaded sleeve that serves as an adapter of sorts? I've done endless ammounts of engine work but I'm completely green to suspension and taking it apart, mixing and matching...the zx struts were purchased taken apart, otherwise I'd (hopefully) have more of a clue of what I'm trying to talk about

The issue is usually the fit between the top of the strut rod and camber plate bearing.  Often there will be a smidge of a gap that needs to be taken up with a very thin metal sleeve.  It would not be threaded, just a slip fit. 

Once you get the parts together a local machine shop should be able to cut some sleeves.  Or maybe something off the shelf at McMaster.com would work...

The threaded part of the shock needed a sleeve/nut on my setup. It came with the T3 camber plates. The top of the shock rod is also tapered and there is a gap between the top hat and the rod. It's small.. but it's there. I consulted Gabe about this and he said don't worry about it. He's seen lots of them like this and apparently doesn't cause any issues.

I am using the guide posted on here for inserts, the Monroe sw20 part numbers are discontinued, where I live anyways, but kyb has identical specs regarding body length, compressed length etc...gonna order these and see how it works out

At 60 dollars each brand new I couldn't complain. Figure if the car ends up not the ride height I like il sell these to the next guy getting his first datsun and il pick somthing else up. I always try and do as much reading as possible but some things just have to be trial and error to get it right..right?right..I think

I have intentions to cut it, welding isn't a problem for me, turns out nowhere has anything aw11..I called every parts store that I know of as well as every auto wrecker near me. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do? I was hoping to avoid buying from the states because the dollar is really in the dumps, but I think it's my only alternative.

Shorter inserts are not going to lower your car. For that you will need to cut a section out of your strut and weld the threaded top back on. You could even shorten your 510 strut tube and run a shorter insert if you want, to but the ZX strut allows you to fit and use the larger 280zx caliper and vented rotors and they have larger hub bearings too. When cutting, you don't want to shorten the strut tube more than the shortest insert you choose or it won't fit inside, obviously. As mentioned if the tube is slightly too long you can stack washers under the short insert to support it. Just changing to the zx strut lowers your ride by about an inch and you can usually lower safely another two inches if you also increase the spring rate to reduce suspension travel and bottoming out.

Lowering the ride height is going to add bump steer and likely some camber so bump steer spacers and camber plates may be needed. Any lowering will also toe in the steering but this is easily adjusted back out.

Hey mike- I bought some zx housings with all the brake goodies on them but missing inserts tophats and springs, I have s13 camber plates and am ordering some aw11 kyb inserts...once I understand how to calculate it il be ordering some springs from ground control most likely! Is there somewhere I can read to figure out how to compliment the strut with proper spring? I plan to use split collars to dial in my ride height once everything else is figured out. Is there a recommended place to purchase bump steer spacers from?

Draker - yes. Thank you lol. Been out in the sun a lot last couple days , I forgot about rockauto. 40$cdn. Sweeeet!!

• Like 1

There's nothing to calculate if you want say... 225 lb/in springs just order 225 springs. The stock 610 spring constant is 96 pounds per in. (lb/in) Any idea what rate you want to try? Spring rate is very personal and what feels right for one person is too soft/hard for someone else. Don't go 300 lb/in just because some others do, only settle for a ride you like.

Talking with friend I've mentioned before on his personal experience, he said e felt no difference between 200 and 250 in ride quality but he stopped hitting bump stops....gonna use 250. I meant regarding how tall it should be in inches. I'm gonna calculate how many inch lb the rear springs on my s13 coilovers are. Might run those since free and go from there. I like free!!

510T has it exactly right, ill try to take a oic of what i have cause thats what youll need. If you take your strut insert and camber plate to a machine shop theyll make what you need. I dont know who makes these.

Im running mr2 illuminas in shortened tubes with no spacer in the strut, the crossmember is about 3 inches off the ground, and yes it has all the nessessary stuff to make that work.. Tee hee.

Im running 275 springs and its a fun go kart ride, but 225's would be more daily friendly i will say

Hey scooter how tall of springs are you running to suit the mr2 inserts?

I have yet to buy any inserts, I was set on the aw11 kybs off of rockauto now someone told me how great the kyb agx units are for camaros with the adj dampening but for nearly double the cost I can't decide if it's worth it

Answers to some of your questions here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59762-my-new-ugly-betty-84-maxima-not-diesel/page-13

The Maxima and 280zx strut tubes are identical, however the hub is slightly different.  I made spacers as I didn't want to lower the front since that would put the wheel farther up at full pooch, which means I'd be hitting the inner fender arch.

I used the KYB struts also.  '92 MR2.

The shortest units are the 92 mr2 that HRH mentioned. Going with those will give you the most options. You can always spacer them up taller or drop them as low as they can go. They are still plenty available. O'Reilly auto can get them next day usually. I ordered mine off Amazon.

The aw11 parts you are looking for are probably the rears from that car. The fronts are complete struts I believe, only the rears of that model are cartridge.