A 510 named "Hey"

I don't think a KA vs. SR would really matter on this track.  Suspension and driver is much more critical.  I'm running stock brakes, bottomed out suspension and shit tires.  Still eating STI's and lots of other fast cars.  I did grow up in the hills and practiced my driving lots!  

Wait a minute. Did you just say the only thing wrong with my car is me? :huh:  Yah, on second thought, don't answer that.

• Like 2
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made 1.25" (31.75MM for you Jeff) bump steer spacers for my car. With 15x8's I needed a 0.125" wheel spacer to clear the tie rod end.

My T3 spacers are the same thickness.  Check out these screen captures.  Even with LCA's parallel to the ground the roll center is still basically subterranean.   We are thinking about doing what the BRE dudes did.  Raising the inner LCA pivot an 1" then lowering the outer tie rod enough to fix the bump steer.  First we are going to see what it does on the computer.  

3wF543z.jpg

thm49uF.jpg

vPn2PtY.jpg

AEyLwuD.jpg

what the BRE dudes did.  See how the tie rod arm swoops down.  I just imagine that it narrows the usable good bump area to a pretty small margin.  

6Od5C5w.png

• Like 6

I see this putting the tie rod below the balljoint & T/C at an upward angle. Would there be an advantage to mounting the T/C on the bottom of the lower control arm? What would be the metallurgical impact from using a torch to bend the steering arm?

Isn't the use of the RCA's similar to putting lowering blocks in a leafspring suspension?

It looks like they had the sway mounting under the control arm, that would surely fix the sway bar tc rod interference. That spindle looks super high from the arm too, those guys did some work.

Yeah I want to build a sway bar for under the LCA's for sure!  

I see a straight tie rod, straight T/C, and a goosenecked steering knuckle

That was the word I was looking for "steering knuckle"!!!   Thanks Mat!  

I see this putting the tie rod below the balljoint & T/C at an upward angle. Would there be an advantage to mounting the T/C on the bottom of the lower control arm? What would be the metallurgical impact from using a torch to bend the steering arm?

Isn't the use of the RCA's similar to putting lowering blocks in a leafspring suspension?

Instead of bending it I'm just going to machine one and also make it quick steer.  

yeah RCA's are exactly that.  If only I could make them 6" tall :)  

Built new sway bar brackets which allowed me to sand the rubber part thinner which raised the sway bar.  At 16 degress of LCA angle the tire hits the frame.  Raising the sway bar and adding longer end links should be enough.  Just in case I'm going to build taller bump steer spacers (I hate calling them that!)  Here are some pictures.  

First modify the model Sam made for his car.  Which I modified twice but only got pics of the second version but built the fisrt version...

QTkJb4U.jpg

Drawing version 2 even though I built version one.  Which is a damn good thing it barely fit!  

w5HNsxq.jpg

Programmed in my mill

Fkqe79t.jpg

Machining.  

LwBZ5Va.jpg

installed with LCA at max compression.  I don't know what happened to the bushing.  I only sanded the one side.  Maybe the heat messed with it.  

3cHTBuL.jpg

• Like 5

First place in RWD!!!!!!!!!! Second fastest time of the day!!!  An new AWD turbo porsche got me by just a little he was able to shift to 4th before the finish line!   The last straight away allows the high HP guys to make up some time.  HHHMMM maybe I need a turbo!  I seriously couldn't believe the difference having suspension travel and nice tires made!  The best part was all the dudes who actually came up to ask how I was so fast and what they were missing. They couldn't believe I was SECONDS ahead of there AWD Skyline or STI swapped subi, I even beat a twin turbo viper with slicks, and a track only V8 rx7 with 12" slicks.  Really I couldn't believe it either!  There were over 40 cars and almost every one was nice.  I think I was the only car with rust on the outside haha.  I'm super happy I didn't mess up my car.  One guy hit the wall and another bent some suspension going off track.  It's an intense place to race.  

O and yes the front tires rub.  Just keeps them nice and heated for next laps.  :) 

YCTgeKG.jpg

n4DamTR.jpg

• Like 13

Way to represent the big D Icehouse. If it takes an AWD turbo Porsche to hang with a RWD 510, than wouldn't it be more honorable if the pencil dick driving his store bought Cayenne, or Carrera 4 just bought his first place trophy straight from the store as well? He may have the trophy, but you won that race, and he knows it.

Love the pict!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Another win! Okay turns out they stop official timing at 7:00... Of coarse my killer time happened at 7:04.... I'm cool with second in RWD though. It's just a blast driving like a maniac! I had trouble with the new coarse so it took me a little longer to get a really good time in. My problem was all the previous events the slalom was every other cone. This event it was 2 cones to the right, one to the left, 2 to the right, 3 to the left... My brain was stuck in every other..... haha. So lets just say I had a couple laps of some serious drifting changing my mind mid corner haha.  

My favorite part of the race was when I left.  They always have a volunteer sitting next to the exit stopping cars and asking if they turned in their transponder.  The volunteer this time was a old retired aged lady.  She had me stop and came up to the window and asked if I turned in the transponder, which I replied "yes".  She then noticed the trophy in the passenger seat.  She ask with pure amazement "did you win one of the races" while looking at my car with a puzzled look on here face :)  It was very obvious she was in disbelief a rusty old Datsun could win one of the events :)   T

BIunaBt.jpg

• Like 10