• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, iceman510 said:

What are you doing?

-Mini tubs front and rear

-removing floor replacing with wagon floor also raising it when I reinstall it with exhaust clearance if needed

-raising front frame rail for more ground clearance

-raising rear crossmember for ground clearance

-cage

-new headliner

-spare tire well delete

-gas tank mods and using PTFE fuel lines

-going to try and fit a catalytic converter in there too. 

My goal is to have zero gas or exhaust smell in the car.  Every 510 I have stinks inside.  

2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Not drywall finishing, apparently 😅

HAHA  yeah so messy I stopped.  If I could drag everything out I would do it.   Drywall is holding up the insulation so I'm good. 

• Like 3

A good sealed exhaust system, a new rubber trunk seal and new tail light gaskets. Connect the tank vent to a charcoal canister system from a newer '75 and up car, new fill pipe rubber and new gas cap. Good to go.

I am very interested in seeing how you go about raising the rear crossmember.  I have pondered doing the same thing for a few reasons.  The obvious being suspension and half shaft geometry.  Secondarily, I think that you could relocate the fuel tank to a custom saddle type tank that sits below where the stock rear seat pan would be (many OEM's mount their tanks in a similar area).  This would help get a large amount of weight lower and more centrally located in the car.  It would also mean the the fuel tank would be fully outside of the passenger compartment.

Just some food for thought to add to the massive amount of work that you are already planning on doing!

On 3/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, datzenmike said:

A good sealed exhaust system, a new rubber trunk seal and new tail light gaskets. Connect the tank vent to a charcoal canister system from a newer '75 and up car, new fill pipe rubber and new gas cap. Good to go.

I hope so.  I put CO2 sensor in my car with a digital display.  Even reading zero I could smell stinky exhaust.   So I'm going to try a cat and see what that does.  Also the trunk like has vents in it about the license plate.  I think they are for water to leak out.  There was originally a seal.  I'm just going to weld those holes shut.  Take that sneaky spot for stink to get in.  

On 3/11/2022 at 11:54 AM, iceman510 said:

Sounds like it is probably not staying a daily driver?

It will be.  It's my favorite car ever!!!  I miss driving it.  

On 3/11/2022 at 11:51 PM, sick620 said:

holy crap why the sudden motivation for more ground clearance? sounds like a huge amount of work... excite to see cage and tubs... If you need someone to come get that sr20 out of your way let me know 😁

2 years ago my ECU blew out due to water ingress, it was under water!.  The window seals were both bad.  So pulling the glass means I can do a new headliner.  The floor needs to be repaired before it gets a cage.  The floors have some fiberglass from the last owner.  I've always wanted to do these upgrades.  Honestly I've always just been to scared to do such big mods.  I figure it's time.  

On 3/12/2022 at 8:54 AM, Z23T said:

PTFE fuel lines, does this mean you are going to run E85?

Maybe one day.  Apparently rubber lines bleed fumes.  Which isn't an issue if you only have a few inches in the cab.  With the pump in the tank the lines run to the top of the tank.  So there is feet of rubber line in the car.  I just want it to be like my Z.  No fuel or exhaust smells in the rig.  

On 3/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, Duke said:

I am very interested in seeing how you go about raising the rear crossmember.  I have pondered doing the same thing for a few reasons.  The obvious being suspension and half shaft geometry.  Secondarily, I think that you could relocate the fuel tank to a custom saddle type tank that sits below where the stock rear seat pan would be (many OEM's mount their tanks in a similar area).  This would help get a large amount of weight lower and more centrally located in the car.  It would also mean the the fuel tank would be fully outside of the passenger compartment.

Just some food for thought to add to the massive amount of work that you are already planning on doing!

That's a damn good idea!!  I'll look into that.  I don't get why race guys mount it in the spare tire well.  I did testing.  My car drove worse with any weight back there.  I did almost 30 laps of testing.  Took 1 lap of no weight to realize how much better it was.  

• Like 1
On 3/13/2022 at 1:08 AM, Duke said:

Isn't the seat pan where the cross member & trailing arms are? Where would the tank go?

10 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Isn't the seat pan where the cross member & trailing arms are? Where would the tank go?

Yes it is, but there is space between the front of the cross member and the shelf for the rear seat pan.  If one was doing work in this area like Jeff plans on doing, I would bet that this area could be enlarged fairly easily to fit a good sized fuel tank.  BMW did it on the E30 and the rear suspension of that car is pretty damn similar to our cars.

6 hours ago, Duke said:

Yes it is, but there is space between the front of the cross member and the shelf for the rear seat pan.  If one was doing work in this area like Jeff plans on doing, I would bet that this area could be enlarged fairly easily to fit a good sized fuel tank.  BMW did it on the E30 and the rear suspension of that car is pretty damn similar to our cars.

I've thought about this as well. Most OEMs just have a piece of foam for the back seat and it doesn't take up much space. So they raise the floor to accommodate a fuel cell.

That being said; I also have a pipe dream of redoing the rear suspension. Maybe just a fabricated rear crossmember to trim things up. I'm hoping to make something closer to S13/14/Z32 style multi-link, but that's above my pay grade.

There isn't much "structure" in the back of a 510 to build off of.  And I don't see a lot of room for a fuel tank.  Have you thought about using the whole wagon floor-pan (all the way to the taillight panel)?  Then you would have a beefier "frame" to modify. 

6815455919_4861b4bf53_c.jpg

Edited by INDY510
On 3/10/2022 at 5:18 PM, Icehouse said:

-Mini tubs front and rear

-removing floor replacing with wagon floor also raising it when I reinstall it with exhaust clearance if needed

-raising front frame rail for more ground clearance

I ran into similar problems in the front of my bagged 710.  I mini-tubbed the front to get the crossmember on the ground.  I thought about raising the control arm pivots and shaving an inch off the bottom of the crossmember, but then the frame rails under the gas pedal were going to hit.  

6940349337_2e87aaa671_c.jpg

17 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Like Duke said there is a massive open area under there.  I bet it's close to 10 gallons already.  

7 hours ago, Duke said:

I was listening to a podcast, the dude was saying how the later Skylines swapped to the same style fuel cell.  From in the trunk to under the rear seat.  He was an avid racer and could tell the two chassis drove way different for that and some other reasons.  So he bought a later skyline even though the style isn't as classic.  

1 hour ago, INDY510 said:

There isn't much "structure" in the back of a 510 to build off of.  And I don't see a lot of room for a fuel tank.  Have you thought about using the whole wagon floor-pan (all the way to the taillight panel)?  Then you would have a beefier "frame" to modify. 

6815455919_4861b4bf53_c.jpg

How much space does 10gallons need?  Before I get to crazy I'm going to do some maths and see what it tells me.  

1 hour ago, INDY510 said:

I ran into similar problems in the front of my bagged 710.  I mini-tubbed the front to get the crossmember on the ground.  I thought about raising the control arm pivots and shaving an inch off the bottom of the crossmember, but then the frame rails under the gas pedal were going to hit.  

6940349337_2e87aaa671_c.jpg

I hate the next lowest thing.  Hopefully I can sort something out and raise everything at least a little bit.  

1 hour ago, jeffball610 said:

I've thought about this as well. Most OEMs just have a piece of foam for the back seat and it doesn't take up much space. So they raise the floor to accommodate a fuel cell.

That being said; I also have a pipe dream of redoing the rear suspension. Maybe just a fabricated rear crossmember to trim things up. I'm hoping to make something closer to S13/14/Z32 style multi-link, but that's above my pay grade.

Did you see the E36 style suspension me and Sam designed?  Bolts in with no cutting.  

On 3/18/2022 at 2:33 PM, Icehouse said:

How much space does 10gallons need? 

About as much as the stock tank, which is right at 10 gallons.  😁

Most 10gal fuel cells are around 20" wide, 18" depth, 13" tall. 👍

Don't know if that helps with your current plan, but you should be able to figure cubic inches from that. 

On 3/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, the510keeper said:

where the build on the E36 suspension ?  Asking for a friend

In my shop.  Next time your over I'll show you.  I mean when you come grab that wagon I need shipped to cali.  

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Josh K. said:

You finally going turbo?

I turboed it when covid first started.  Burned down the brakes at the autox.  upgraded them a few times and now decided to do more upgrades.