Rescued from a field

First post here and just here to get some knowledge. You guys definitely have it!  Pulled a 510 2DR from a field today and it's my new project. Normally I wouldn't do a pulled-from-the-field special (my last project was a good condition '79 Corolla), but this one is worth restoring. She has some rust and doesn't run. This should be fun.

Pics: http://s180.photobucket.com/user/miatagirl576/slideshow/DAT510

• Like 4
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey!  You've got the original Battery tray and hold down as well as the original radio.  Some days life doesn't get any better.

You also have the "universal" Datsun Nissan ofter market lace-on black perforated leather wheel cover.  You need it if you park anywhere that the sun shines on the wheel unless you prefer blisters on your hands.

• Like 1

It looks nasty but it also appears to be mostly there and not bad under all the filth.  A good round with a pressure washer on the outside and in the engine compartment combined with some upholstery cleaner and a vinyl restoration product and it will look a LOT better.  For anyone wanting a car for themselves this would be an excellent project.

Good find.

• Like 1

Only real problem?  If a true field pull how do you get legal title?  Can you find the previous owner or have the land owner declare an "abandoned vehicle"?  Don't know Texas laws and don't really want to know the details.  Good luck before you pour too much money into it.

That's an awesome find; I'm stoked for you. Don't f*ck it up, Mr. b00std(it's super easy to do)

Group New Members

Active Posts 1

Profile Views 17

Member Title Newbie

Age Age Unknown

Birthday Birthday Unknown

Female Female

San Antonio

Cars

70 Datsun 510

Interests

autocross

Welcome to Ratsun Ms. b00std, seems like a fairly complete car.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Hey!  You've got the original Battery tray and hold down as well as the original radio.  Some days life doesn't get any better.

You also have the "universal" Datsun Nissan ofter market lace-on black perforated leather wheel cover.  You need it if you park anywhere that the sun shines on the wheel unless you prefer blisters on your hands.

Trust me, I'm all too familiar with the vinyl covered metal wheels from the 50s through 70s era! Autozone made a killing on those steering wheel covers back in the day.

...and AIR!

I was amazed when I saw that, too. That's one of the things that is erking me. I prefer to keep rare cars as stock as possible.  I had a '66 Nova 4DR that had power assist rack and pinion (super rare and pioneering in that age for American cars) and dealer installed A/C. I couldn't bring myself to hack the car apart just for the sake of having a drag car. I know the 510s' value isn't necessarily based upon the completeness of the factory components, but more on the nostalgic racing history. That being the case, I think I can get away with a bit of tasteful modification, but keeping the car in tact mostly as it is.

How rare is the A/C on these cars?

It looks nasty but it also appears to be mostly there and not bad under all the filth.  A good round with a pressure washer on the outside and in the engine compartment combined with some upholstery cleaner and a vinyl restoration product and it will look a LOT better.  For anyone wanting a car for themselves this would be an excellent project.

Good find.

That was my first thought. I have a pressure washer on hand and being a professional detailer, it's pretty hilarious when my friends and clientele see that I've picked up a car that has maybe 50% of it's paint left. haha

Original wipers, none of those double and triple red or blue plastic POS, grill looks keen and the two bumpers are scary straight.

Unfortunately one of the wipers is bent, but you're right: it's better than the Pep boys specials. The grille is in great condition and the bumpers are pretty straight. I have to see if one has just chrome popping off, but if it's not busted, they can be re-chromed.

Only real problem?  If a true field pull how do you get legal title?  Can you find the previous owner or have the land owner declare an "abandoned vehicle"?  Don't know Texas laws and don't really want to know the details.  Good luck before you pour too much money into it.

The guy who I got it from owns the land that it was on for a WHILE. The last tag shows as 1993. There is a sticker for San Antonio Community College on the front that is dated 1982, so it's been in SA for a while now.

For Texas, you can buy a car without a title, apply for a bonded title and upon approval buy the bond and have the title put in your name. This will be happening before I put any parts to it, but I at least have to get her to rolling status. All tires are flat and the brakes are sticking. There isn't a key, so I need to pull the lock cylinder out. Bonded titles aren't as scary once you've done one.  I'm having my police officer buddy ping the databases for any stolen status, but publicdata.com showed no records. I'm thinking it has been in this field for a couple of decades (it sure looks like it with all the ants and plants growing in it).

That's an awesome find; I'm stoked for you. Don't f*ck it up, Mr. b00std(it's super easy to do)

Thanks for the kind reminder.

Actually, the reason I sold my '79 Corolla is because it WASN'T my build. Someone else built it for a quasi-drift car, but that car's solid axle made it teeter on two wheels. It was a LSD from the GSL-SE RX-7, flipped. I need that droop that IRS can give me on hard cornering. There are other rear end swaps you can do on the Corollas, but for the expense it wasn't worth it in my opinion. Luckily for me, I sold it and came across this one. The 510 is my dream Japanese nostalgic car (2002 killer), other than a C10 Skyline (unobtainable for my poor budget). My heart is racing as I type this. I can't believe I have it!

• Like 2

Correct. I haven't made a signature yet, but I usually don't put my name anyways.

If you want to know I'm a real person (trust me over 15 years on various car forums I get the occasional accusation of being the fat-guy-on-is-pc-in-his-underwear-in-the-dark),

i get that in real life...

:lol:

• Like 2

Not to often you have a female refer to a car as she. At least not in my family. Probably the confusion source.

Otherwise welcome, nice car.

Thanks and that's interesting. My truck is Timmy, the S2000 is Ryoko (female), and the ST is Spike. I usually spend a little time with them before I can tell if they're a boy or girl.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent find. I found my 70 510 4-dr last fall (same color). This past month I finally got to start on it . I replaced everything that had fluids in it. Drove it to work for the first time last friday. Fun car.

Enjoy.