Reverse lights and horn not working

im2bad4ya

As the title says, my horn is not functioning and the when I put the car in reverse, the lights do not turn on. Is this problem related? I know the horn works because I wired it directly to the battery but doesn't work when I press the button on the steering wheel. Anyone else see this problem before?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the horn and the reverse lamps are on different fuses so I would start by replacing all of them. Clean and inspect the fuse box as well. The '72 fuse box can be easily unplugged and removed. Simply immerse it in a suitable size bowl of vinegar over night. This will remove any corrosion, rinse well and dry. This will likely fix both problems and perhaps one you haven't found yet.

See if this does the fix and if not come back and report your findings. Post some pictures of your '72. Welcome to Ratsun

LOL, vinegar bath was the first thing I did when I got the car, cleaned the fuse box. I did it just as a precaution, to make sure everything was working, but still they don't work. Fuses are good, I tested them with a multimeter. So I guess the next thing would be to check the relays?

use corolla as daily driver and work on 510 on the side and have a garage for it.

thats a cool car

Nah, I currently use a Lexus IS300 as my daily  :thumbup:  Only reason I'm selling is because I'm short on space. Otherwise I'd keep all three

LOL, vinegar bath was the first thing I did when I got the car, cleaned the fuse box. I did it just as a precaution, to make sure everything was working, but still they don't work. Fuses are good, I tested them with a multimeter. So I guess the next thing would be to check the relays?

This could have been in the first post. Anything else you have done to fix this?

The horn has power to it available at all times, you don't need the ignition on, just like the headlamps and interior light. Back up lights do need the ignition on. I don't have my electrical diagrams at work but will have a look at home tonight, Next possible thing is the horn relay. Are the back up lamp bulbs blown?

bulbs arent blown, swapped them with the turns and they work. this car has been sitting for years and is original and unmolested so I don't think it's spliced wiring or anything has been messed with. i'll check the backup light switch on the tranny over the weekend.

The horn and the brake lights are on the same fuse... do your brake lights work?

If no, then there is no power from the fuse box and although the fuse may be ok there is still something wrong.

If yes, then this confirms that there is power to the horn relay.... so...

Find the horn relay it has 3 wires to it, Green, Green/Yellow and Black/Green strip wires. Ground the Black green stripe wire.

Horn works..............  the horn button is likely corroded and not making the ground connection on the column.

Horn doesn't work.... the relay is bad or stuck

The reverse lights and the turn signals both are on the same fuse, so if the turn signals work it's not a fuse issue. 

The reverse light switch in the transmission is the likely culprit, but checking the wiring is easy- just unplug the reverse light switch and hook the wires together.  Then switch on the ignition- if the lights come on, the wiring is good but the switch is bad.  What I did on one of my cars was switch the 4th gear switch with the reverse switch since one worked and the other didn't.  What I did on my other car was just wired a toggle switch into the dash.  I also installed halogen bulbs in the reverse light sockets...  and in my younger days used that for tailgaters.

The horn, hazards, brake light, and dome light are all on the same fuse so if any of those work the fuse isn't the issue.  Could be the relay, or could be the steering wheel to column wiper connection (or the horn button itself) though I'd suspect it's the relay.